I deleted Snapchat, Facebook, and Instagram for a weekend

I guess you can call it a social cleanse

Do you ever catch yourself checking your phone every few seconds? You’re scrolling down Facebook aimlessly-to discover your elementary school classmate just got engaged, or open Instagram and see the guy you dated in high school is a now vegan. Then you go onto Snapchat, viewing stories of this guy you met at the bar once, might I add.

But why?

We are in the loop 24/7. We know everything about everyone, yet most likely we talk to about five of those 900 Facebook friends in person. So why are we caught up with other people’s lives? Completely obsessed to the point that you know that your friend’s uncle is back from the Bahamas with a cool haircut. Admit it:  you Instagram-stalk too.

As hard as it had seemed, instead of living through other people’s lives, I decided to spend a weekend without social media and without you knowing how my cappuccino looks through a Snapchat filter.

So I did it. I deleted my social applications and actually used my phone, as a phone.

Friday

I woke up for my 6 a.m. spin class and the first thing I did was check my phone. Driving into the parking lot – I checked my phone. Getting on my bike – I checked my phone. Finished with my workout- checked my phone.

What was a expecting at 6 a.m. ? A phone call from the president? It was so habitual of me to check my social media feeds, regardless of the hour.

As always, I finish with a cup of coffee, and what did I want to do? Snapchat it. Again, Why? I can guarantee no one cares about my cup of coffee. No one. Especially at 8 am.

Saturday

I decided to wake up early and go on a hike – solo. Why not? I’ve learned to keep my phone in my bag while making my way up to Mt. Wilson. And boy, was it satisfying. I took pictures with my GoPro and didn’t feel the need to snap my entire journey. Instead, I struggled through the 14-mile hike, meeting new people, observing my surroundings, and I had such a blast.

Leaving the campsite, I called my sister and told her all about it. I was excited to share every vivid detail with someone I know would appreciate this mini adventure I had.

Sunday

After church, I had a lovely breakfast with my parents and left my phone in the car. As I was waiting for my eggs Benedict, I looked around the patio and saw couples, children, and friends all on their phones. It was astonishing, really.  Yes – there was the urge to take a picture of my amazing meal, but I thought about it.. am I doing it for myself? Or for my social media friends so they know I’m at Haute Cakes at 10 a.m. on a Sunday? 

A sense of pretentiousness fell over me.  I realized I could live without knowing what you’re doing at 10 a.m. on a Sunday. Is that mean? No, I’m just doing me.

In the end, during these three days, I found myself with more time on my hands, going to bed early, reading books, following the news, and calling my girlfriends to see how they were doing.

Was it difficult? A little bit. I’ll admit I wanted to see what was going on, what meme was trending and what @thefatjewish was ranting about.

But I’ve learned there can be a balance. You don’t need to completely  remove yourself from social media. I mean it is the 21st century, we need to survive. Just don’t be that obnoxious gal who puts her whole entire life on Instagram to the point that everyone knows what kind of face mask she uses. Instead, enjoy life and just share the highlights.