We asked Bernie or Busters how they reacted to Sanders’ endorsing Hillary

‘We can’t be discouraged, we won’t waver or capitulate’

The Tab

The Bernie or Bust movement was a late surge by the most ardent Sanders supporters to announce that, because of what they viewed as a corrupt election system and an unelectable Hillary Clinton, they would reject voting for a Clinton presidency, hence the title “Bernie or Bust.”

Now Clinton has secured the nomination, we talked to some members to determine what the state of their support was, and how they were viewing the race now.

Rosario Dawson at an LA rally this weekend

“My mindset is about the same as it was before. I’m disappointed in the corruption perpetuated by the Democratic Party, but I’m not overly surprised,” said Michael Mahoney, from Phoenix, Arizona.

“I’m angry that many Democratic voters, not to mention previous Bernie supporters, are expecting me to come over and help prevent Trump from winning by voting for Clinton. All-in-all, I’m just disappointed in the corrupt system in which we live, and few people seem to bat an eye.”

Nick DiDonato from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) has similar thoughts. “As long as the words ‘I am endorsing Hillary Clinton for president’ don’t come out of Bernie’s mouth I will be happy and I think most of his supporters will as well.”

However, Sanders recently came out in an interview saying that he plans, if he is not the candidate, to vote for Hillary in November, citing the necessity to defeat Trump as his motivation.

This puts the Bernie or Bust members in a strange corner where they have to decide that, if come November their man votes Clinton, will they follow suit?

Nick DiDonato

“Nope, her reputation is tarnished,” DiDonato said. “Even if Bernie asked us to vote for her because she agreed to take on a few of his progressive policies, how could she be trusted?”

Mahoney feels the same. “Bernie could come to me and personally beg me to vote for Clinton, and I would refuse. Many Bernie supporters are waiting to see what Bernie has to say before choosing what to do, but many of us are in the same mind frame – even if Bernie asked us to, we wouldn’t do it. In short, nothing, not Trump, not Bernie, is going to get me to vote for Clinton.”

The strength of the group seems to be as strong as it was months ago, perhaps stronger. Anitah Carlisle, from Los Angeles, California thinks with all the democratic rhetoric aimed at the group claiming that if you’re not voting for Hillary, you’re voting for Trump, only seems to add fuel to the fire.

“There is an effort to discourage the Bernie or Bust, with a call to party unity, waving the ‘fear Trump’ banner in our faces. It’s a fool’s errand. We can’t be discouraged, we won’t waver or capitulate. That’s what it means to be Bernie or Bust.”

Willie

As Bernie has not yet dropped out of the race, members are still holding firm to the hope of a Bernie candidacy. Although the math is not on their side, many have stayed strong to their convictions and don’t seem to be surrendering anytime soon.

“I cannot with a clear conscience vote for someone who is so dishonest and war hawkish as she is,” said Willie Williamson from Bell, Florida. “I have absolutely no trust in her, nor Trump. I am truly Bernie Sanders all the way!”