Jacksonville, FL might just be the best place to grow up in the country

Number one city in the US, number one in our hearts

Jacksonville, Florida is the largest city by area in the US, the home of the Jacksonville Jaguars, and a surprising escape to paradise. At a glance, Jacksonville may not seem like it has much to offer, and honestly I believed that for the longest time. But lately, I have begun to change my mind. Jacksonville may really be a great place to live.

The beach is just a stone’s throw away

The beauty of watching the marvelous waves touching the shore as you watch the sun creep up beyond the horizon is something you can enjoy every single day. It is the best place for all types of people, like people who enjoy the calm sunrises to people who love to sun-bathe. If you live in Jacksonville, the farthest you live from a beach is 30 minutes. Paradise without having to go too far!

Family life is thriving 

Due to being such a calm city, there are a ton of families which creates a very home-like environment for everyone. There are hundreds of different schools with a variety of education programs to offer which prepare kids for college along with creating a nurturing, safe environment. Jacksonville is a great place to raise a family.

Sports, sports, sports

Jacksonville only has one famous sports team, the Jacksonville Jaguars. But the fans for the Jags make up for the lack of other huge professional teams. The exhilarating spirit all Jags fans have is remarkable. We all know the Jaguars are not the greatest at football, but that has never stopped a Jaguar fan from watching every single game and keeping that spirit high!

Florida doesn’t seem that big 

Being from Jacksonville, the farthest a vacation spot is from me is about six hours, which is Key West. While trekking down there, you cross Orlando, Tampa and Miami. And right next door to Jacksonville is the historic town of St. Augustine, the oldest city in the country. Florida not only has a grand history, but also has beautiful vacation spots and exhilarating theme parks.

However, it isn’t perfect…

On the other hand, Jacksonville is not a perfect place. Due to having an area of 885 square miles (the biggest city in the nation) to go anywhere is a trek. Generally speaking, to get anywhere it is at least a 15-minute drive, which does not seem like much, but it can really add up over time. You cannot walk anywhere; you definitely need a car.

Also, since it is such a family-oriented town, it leaves the youngsters with not too much to do. There are just a few clubs, bars along the beach and fancy restaurants to keep us all occupied. Otherwise, the only forms of entertainment are shopping, the beach, and golf.

Overall, Jacksonville is a beautiful city with a lot to offer and most definitely somewhere to visit!