The Senate had a chance to fix gun legislation and they squandered it

Four amendments failed last night

Yesterday was June 20th, the first day of summer in the Northern Hemisphere. In LA, the daily high was 100 degrees Fahrenheit (a new record!); and in Washington DC, it was 88 degrees Fahrenheit, but it was more than just the sweltering sun that had the blood of senators on both sides boiling.

The Senate voted on four proposed gun laws in wake of the nightclub massacre in Orlando a week ago. Two measures were sponsored by the Democrats, and two were sponsored by the Republicans.

Each of these measures needed 60 “aye” votes in order to pass, no exceptions.

Here is a look at some of the amendments to the Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2016 that were voted on.

Republican Proposal #1

Grassley (pictured above) is a Republican Senator from Iowa whose website states that the amendment’s purpose was “to address gun violence and improve the availability of records to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System.” In a nutshell, Grassley wanted more money and resources to support one of the only safeguards currently in place to protect the public from individuals who wish to use a gun in a criminal way. Grassley’s amendment was defeated in a 53-47 vote.

Democrat Proposal #1

Dianne Feinstein (a California Democrat) proposed an amendment, seen as the Democrat’s reply to Grassley’s amendment. It was described on the Library of Congress website as a measure that would “authorize the Attorney General to deny requests to transfer a firearm to known or suspected terrorists”. Due to past issues with non-terrorists ending up on the US Terror Watchlist, this amendment was expected to fail in its current form. The amendment was defeated in a 47-53 vote.

Republican Proposal #2

Senator John Cornyn, a Texas Republican, sponsored an amendment that would notify local, state, and federal law enforcement bodies whenever someone on the Terror Watchlist attempted to buy a firearm. In addition to this measure, the amendment would allow for a the implication of a three-day waiting period on guns for those on the Terror Watchlist (currently or within the last five years). The point of Cornyn’s amendment is to a) protect innocent people who accidentally end up on the Terror Watchlist from being unable to buy a gun, and b) to allow for law enforcement to act and investigate an alleged “terrorist” before they are allowed to purchase a firearm, perhaps preventing tragedy in the process. Cornyn’s amendment was defeated in a 53-47 vote

Democrat Proposal #2

Lastly, Senator Christopher Murphy of Connecticut (pictured above with me, holding a baby salmon) had his own amendment. For those of you not in the know, Murphy recently helped to lead a 15-hour filibuster urging Congress to act on gun violence during a Senate session last week. Gun violence has become one of Murphy’s primary concerns in recent years, with the escalating number of mass shootings, citing Sandy Hook in particular (which occurred in his home state). Murphy’s amendment would have disallowed anyone on the Terror Watchlist from buying a gun, and would extend the background check mentioned above to gun shows and the Internet. Murphy’s amendment failed 44-56, 16 votes short from passing.

Not a single amendment passed. When the Orlando shooting occurred just under a week ago, citizens across the US were filled with sorrow. The United States public were sick of Congress’ silence on the issue of gun violence, but it appears not even the most gruesome tragedy can eliminate the invisible force of special interests ( I am looking at you, NRA) and partisan politics.

God save the United States, for even our own democratically-elected representatives cannot do it alone.