You know you’re from Hartford, MI if…

Population 2000, but you knew that

When I think of the town I grew up in, Hartford, Michigan, I think of all of the people, and how they alone make the town what it is. You can’t walk into Harding’s without seeing a familiar face, and you certainly won’t get out of there without being persuaded to buy a lotto ticket. The residents of Hartford, Michigan are each to their own, but only they will understand what it is like to grow up in a town that is exactly one mile square, and has one stoplight.

You know you’re from Hartford, MI if a day of relaxing to you means floating the day away, fishing on Van Auken Lake with a few cold ones.

You know you’re from Hartford, MI if you live for that one week per year in June, where you can get unlimited access to strawberries.

You know you’re from Hartford, MI if you can recognize Mr. Ward’s iconic voice echoing down the football field on a September Friday night.

You know you’re from Hartford, MI if you always struggle to hear your mom talking to you from across the dinner table on a Friday night because of the ridiculous rumble from the Hartford Motor Speedway.  

You know you’re from Hartford, MI if you or your kids have ever been in the local pageant.

You know you’re from Hartford, MI if you don’t even bother going to school on November 15th.

You know you’re from Hartford, MI if you board up your windows on humid days with a north wind because of that dairy farm stench that will for sure ruin your day.

You know you’re from Hartford, MI if you’ve ever gone to one of the many tractor parades throughout the year, where you could always catch Grandpa Bob Hall running the show.

You know you’re from Hartford, MI if you hit up Gala-ti-inn for a family sized pizza after every home basketball game.