Was it just me or were the Mother’s and Father’s day Snapchat filters sexist?

Not all dads are these buff, manly men, just as not all moms love everything pink and glittery and anything else deemed super girly

Everyone loves all of the goofy Snapchat filters (shout out to the much loved dog filter), and especially the crazy ones that come out around the holidays.

Unfortunately, they may have missed the mark a little bit this time.

Now before some of you try to get angry by saying this is another winey girl calling attention to something that doesn’t need attention, keep in mind that a friend and her brother pointed this out.

Sometime on Sunday afternoon (Father’s Day), during a study break with my friend, she talked about how she saw the Father’s Day Snapchat filter and was a bit upset by it. Not only that, but her brother texted to mention the same thing.

For Mothers Day this year, Snapchat created a filter full of flowers – everything was very cutesy and pretty.

As for the Father’s Day filter, Father’s Day was spelled out with all manly things – baseball bats and tools and neck ties and coffee.

It may not seem that weird, but especially in this day in age, there are a lot of families with single parents or two moms or two dads. According to Kids Count Data Center, there are currently approximately 24,689,000 children in the United States living in single-parent families, or 35 percent of children. A majority of these children live with a single mom.

Not all dads are these buff, manly men, just as not all moms love everything pink and glittery and anything else deemed super girly. Maybe there are dads who would not mind receiving flowers and maybe there are moms who would love to go to a sports game with their kids.

As seen on Snapchat’s Father’s Day story

Furthermore, Zillow came out with a commercial about a father and his four daughters. As a single dad, not only does he do the classic “dad” sort of things, but he also plays dress up with his daughters and lets them paint his nails.

Families in America are changing. The “traditional” family with two parent (a dad and mom, specifically) is now representative of less than half of families in the U.S, according to Pew Research.

As seen on Snapchat’s Father’s Day story.

Snapchat, sadly, is just emphasizing stereotypes. Moms must have really simple lives and dads must be the fun ones in the family cause they clearly love and do so many different things. Additionally,  to reference to the necktie, the necktie is classically a symbol representing the breadwinner of the family and of authority and power. On top of that, I guess it must be obvious why men have coffee in their filter – once again is Snapchat trying to say men are the only ones who have work to do?

And women get fragile flowers. Great.