How Tumblr provided me with a community of strong, independent women

I went looking for TV blogs and found something much more

I learned about Susan B. Anthony and women’s suffrage in primary school. However, the full impact of what the early feminists were fighting for did not hit me until recently. The offhand comments that I heard while growing up, such as, “only boys can play that sport,” “that’s such a boy thing to do,” and “act more lady like,” are examples that show that the divide in equal opportunities begin at a young age.

Now that I am 21, I am recognizing an even bigger gap between men and women’s opportunities. Though women can now vote, discrimination is still present.

I originally joined Tumblr to follow blogs covering my favorite TV shows, but I soon found a community of blogs that focused on women’s rights and empowerment. The power of social media has amplified the women’s rights movement. It is a place for candid talk about social norms, gender roles and inequities that women face today. Since joining Tumblr, I have learned new and important things about feminism – things that I would have not known otherwise. The core of feminism is still what the early feminists were fighting for, but the movement is evolving and more determined than ever.

Intersectional feminism

The media likes to highlight celebrity endorsements of feminism and largely discusses topics surrounding the “glass ceiling.” Though unequal pay and representation of women in leadership roles are important, they are topics that I believe are cop-outs to avoid discussions over women who are not able-bodied, cis (identification of the gender one is born with), or white. Intersectional feminism creates a more inclusive movement. The fight for equal rights and empowerment covers:

• Trans women
  • Women of color
  • Disabled women
  • Poor women
  • Queer women

I knew feminism included equality for all, but representation and discussion of minority groups are not thoroughly covered. Blogs such as feminism-and-flowers and intersectional feminism for beginners post quotes, pictures, and videos to educate and motivate women looking to get involved in the intersectional feminist movement. Though the intersectional feminist movement may not be as well known as the umbrella word, “feminism,” the movement is big enough to warrant a suggested search on the Tumblr homepage, as well as a list of suggested intersectional blogs to follow.

You do not have to apologize for being a woman

We are living in a time where being unapologetic to societal norms is becoming the norm. You don’t like what I’m wearing? I don’t care. You want me to smile more? I’ll do what I want. The times of being told of what to do and how to act by the patriarchy are starting to come to an end.

Why gendering things is problematic

From a young age we are taught that boys play with trucks and girls play with dolls. Men are masculine and women are feminine. This may seem harmless, but it kick-starts a tradition of gender expectations and stereotypes. These expectations can be translated to unequal pay, unequal leadership opportunities, and social stigmas that surround appearance, gender, and personality. The US Women’s soccer team is currently fighting against unequal pay rates, while many other women struggle with the social standards set by these expectations. The unnecessary gendering is impacting girls from a young age and following them to adulthood.

Have you heard of Bell Hooks?

Gloria Jean Watkins is an author and feminist known by her pen name, Bell Hooks. In college, I was able to read excerpts written by her and it was eye-opening. On Tumblr, there is a lot of discussion surrounding Bell Hooks’ writing and social activism. She has taught Tumblr how capitalism, misogyny, racism and power constructs are harmful to the social and feminist movements. Bell Hooks is a strong woman who has inspired many and still continues to fight for equality today. The blog saved by the bell hooks provides quotes and excepts from Bell Hooks paired with photos from Saved By The Bell.

You can be a part of a strong feminist community

Tumblr has an expansive community of people who believe in equal rights for women. You can easily create a blog and join into the feminist community. There are safe spaces open for discussion, to vent, and to share your experiences as a woman. I’ve learned many lessons from Tumblr, but I think that the most important one is to be proud of who you are and where you came from. The value that you place on yourself cannot, and will not, be taken away without a fight.

Some of my favorite blogs that celebrate feminism and strong women include The Feminist Presshellyeahfeminism and Celebrating Amazing Women