Just because I wasn’t ‘born and bred’ here doesn’t mean I can’t be a Southerner

I will fight you if you call me a Yankee

I’ve lived in the Durham/Chapel Hill area of North Carolina since I was two years old. I don’t have any memories from before that time. All I know is North Carolina.

You’d think after spending 18 years here I would be considered “Southern.” But when I first started working at the Student Stores at the University of North Carolina, I was immediately called out for being a “Yankee.”

Granted, this was probably because a lot of the employees are Chapel Hill natives. But that doesn’t make it right. What do you mean I can’t be one of you? I live here, too.

As much as it frustrates me, I can’t really blame them. They were obviously just poking fun at the new girl. But it still begs the question: What does it take to be considered “Southern?”

What if you were born here and then moved away? What if you moved away and then back?

I was born in Rochester, NY. That’s Upstate New York for your information, AKA absolutely nowhere near the city. You’d be surprised how many people think New York is synonymous with New York City. And how much it aggravates me.

When I was an adorable little toddler, my dad got a job in North Carolina. He moved down here first – my mom always recounts me waving to him as he drove away – and then we followed shortly after. I don’t have any memories of those first two years in New York (duh). All I have is this tiny face to go by.

But I sure as hell have memories of my first 18 years in North Carolina. (2004 ice storm, anyone?)

I’ve lived here for the majority of my life. I’ve done it all in this beautiful state. So, do you consider me to be “Southern?” I don’t have an accent. I never have. I’m extremely pale, love snow and hate barbecue.

It doesn’t matter what you think of me because I am Southern. There isn’t a true definition of the word, but I don’t think you have to be born somewhere specific to be considered a part of it. It’s a distinction we all have to make ourselves.

You could live in the South but absolutely hate it. Would you consider yourself Southern then? Probably not. It’s up to us. If we are proud of where we live (which I most certainly am), then we have the right to call ourselves whatever we want.

I love being Southern. Upstate New York can have its moments, and I love/miss all of my family that still resides there. But North Carolina is my home, something New York has never truly been for me.

So when I say, “Tar Heel born, Tar Heel dead,” please don’t call me a liar.