Ingram, Texas proves the best things come in the smallest packages

You never know what you might find in a small town – it has it’s own stonehenge

Deep in the heart of Texas, a little over an hour outside of San Antonio is a tiny town called Ingram, and an even tinier unincorporated community right outside of Ingram called Hunt. In a town like Ingram, with a population of just over 1800 people, and a town hall and police station about the size of a very small house, you’d think that you almost wouldn’t notice that you drove through it.

Surprisingly, Ingram and Hunt are some of the most interesting and curious places I’ve ever been.

For one, you can take an afternoon trip to both Stonehenge and Easter Island. Ingeniously called “Stonehenge II”, two inhabitants of Hunt, Texas built this Stonehenge replica in 1989. Until 2010, Stonehenge II resided off a small farm road.

After the land with Stonehenge on it was sold, Stonehenge II was moved to Point Theater in Ingram Texas, where is is perfectly set up to align with the sun’s path on the April 8, 2024 total solar eclipse, which will last for four minutes and 23 seconds.

The Easter Island head was added several years after Stonehenge II was originally constructed, after the owner visited Easter Island, and realized that the mysterious statues would make the perfect companion to the equally mysterious monument.

In equally fascinating histories, Ingram has beautiful murals detailing the history of the area covering both sides of a building on the main street through the town, impossible to miss.

And while the history of Ingram takes up two long walls, many parts of it’s history are still around today, like the Ingram grocery store, run by the same family for years, and primarily selling local produce and food, and the Ole Ingram Social Club.

When you finish driving through Ingram and make it to Hunt, it’s like going back in time to an even older, tinier, town. The majority of Hunt is comprised of about 10 summer camps, some girls only, some boys only, and some for both.

The summers bring a massive influx of counselors, and the locals are so used to it, and know the area so well, without even asking, they know which groups of counselors work at which camps.

A popular hang out place is the Hunt Store, also known simply as “The Store”, as it’s the only store in Hunt. With no air conditioning, just lot of ceiling fans and wood, stepping into the Hunt Store is about as close as you’ll get to stepping into a Wild West Store.

No perishable goods, fake wooden stumps as chairs,  Fox News on the TV, and a good old stubborn attitude.

Small towns might be looked down upon because they’re so small, but if you stop and look around one, you never know what you might find.