The intern’s guide to lunch in the Flatiron District

Here are the best go-to places for that hour break between work.

New York City has millions of different places to grab a bite to eat – whatever you’re craving, you are guaranteed to find it somewhere. If you are a major foodie like me, this can be the most thrilling realization. However, when you’re a busy summer intern with only an hour for lunch, finding a good place can be challenging. Even more so, finding a place that isn’t going to cost you an arm and a leg. On top of this, some of the best places in the Flatiron District have lines out the door when lunch time rolls around (pro-tip: don’t even attempt Shake Shack unless it’s raining or you really have time to spare).

Enjoy a comprehensive list of the best places to dash to on that hour (45 minute) break.

Dig Inn

Looking for a healthy, locally-grown meal that will be sure to fill you up without leaving a major dent in your wallet? Look no further. Dig Inn is a perfect place to go with plenty of freshness and variety. Definitely go before 12-12:30 to avoid the long line, even though it tends to move pretty quickly. It is an easy place to spend $10 or less and get super filling portions, even when you get the smaller sized dish. You can also mix and match different things all the time – there are plenty of delicious options. The roasted kale with caramelized onions is to die for, and don’t even get me started on the seasonal upstate mac and cheese.

Shake Shack

I know I said the wait is long, but if you are really craving the opposite of a healthy meal, head to the infamous original Shake Shack in Madison Square Park. The greasy aroma can be smelt from everywhere in the vicinity of the park and it is easy to see that it doesn’t fail to attract customers. Again, there is a line a mile long every day around lunch time, so definitely go on a day when you have time to spare, or you luck out and it’s one of the rare days you beat the lunch time crowd. With their burgers, fries and shakes definitely acting as a heart attack waiting to happen, try not to indulge at this spot too often. But long hard day at the office? Treat yo self.

Mangia

Definitely the place to go if you’re craving a delicious Italian meal or even just plenty of variety. Catering to the needs of everyone, with everything from a juice bar to flatbread pizzas, Mangia is definitely a gem for lunch. Their best offering is definitely their food bar – you can get anything from gnocchi to seared ahi tuna, or any combination of food you happen to be craving. Not sure if you’re in a chicken kind of mood or a pasta kind of mood? Mangia has something that can satisfy just about anyone. Just be careful; the food bar is priced at the weight of the container you fill, so trying to take too much can definitely end up being pretty pricey.

Schnippers

Craving a sandwich or a burger but the line for Shake Shack is way too long? Schnippers definitely never fails to deliver a delicious meal. Even when lines get long, service tends to be quick and you don’t usually have to spend more than 10 minutes waiting. If you are starving, definitely go here because the portions are huge. However, also take into account that like Shake Shake, Schnippers is nothing short of a heart attack waiting to happen and should be consumed quite infrequently. The chicken bacon cheddar melt is quite the sandwich worth trying.

Cafe 28

Putting a gourmet spin on the typical lunch deli, Cafe 28 has every lunch option you can think of. With every kind of specialty sub, from the tuna melt or the Philly cheesesteak, to just a plain ol’ turkey sandwich, Cafe 28 has it all. They even have a sushi bar if that is what you’re craving. It is also the perfect place to grab smaller things for pretty cheap – a bowl of fruit, a candy bar, or whatever your afternoon pick-me-up needs may consist of.

Sweetgreen

Craving a salad but can’t stand the thought of having to brave the line out the door for Chop’d? Sweetgreen is definitely the place to go. Just a convenient walk down Broadway, there are all kinds of fresh ingredients to make the perfect healthy meal. It can definitely get a bit pricey though – expect to spend upwards of $11 on a salad. But it does provide a nice alternative to Shake Shack.