We asked Southern girls about their Lilly Pulitzer obsession

‘They make me feel like I’m part of something exclusive’

The Lilly Pulitzer brand is famous for its colorful shift dressesĀ and whimsical prints. The brightly patterned dresses typically seen in the South are a staple in so many wardrobes.

We asked four Southern ladies what wearing Lilly means to them, and why they’re so obsessed with the prints.

Alexa, 20, Alabama

Alexa wearing Lilly

Why is Lilly so important to you?

When I wore Lilly a lot, it was important to me because it made me feel included.

What’s your favorite print?

My favorite print is probably “First Impressions.”

Why do you pay so much for the dresses?

I paid a lot for the dresses because they made me feel like I was part of something exclusive. All of the clothes I bought were very much on sale, but they were still pricey.

What is your favorite Lilly item you own?

My favorite Lilly item I own is my Entourage Resort tote.

Meredith, 22, Virginia

Meredith wearing her “You Gotta Regatta” Somerset Dress

Why is Lilly so important to you?

Lilly Pulitzer is important to me because it makes me feel unique. No matter if it’s sunny or rainy, wearing Lilly immediately brightens my mood. I feel like wearing Lilly makes a statement about the kind of person you are because the prints are so bright and colorful.

Many of my friends know me as the girl who wears Lilly Pulitzer, and I love that. I’m okay with being known as the girl who wears bright colors and loves to have fun. Lilly Pulitzer herself said, “life is a party, dress like it,” and that’s a quote I want to live by.

When did you buy your first dress?

I bought my first Lilly Pulitzer dress in 2012. It was the Quinn Dress in Surely Blue Sailor’s Valentine. I still have it in my closet and it’s definitely one of my favorites to this day. I bought it as a reward to myself for meeting a weight loss goal and after wearing it, I just knew I needed to add more Lilly to my closet.

Meredith’s first Lilly dress

What’s your favorite print?

My favorite print is “Let’s Cha Cha” because it’s so bright and fun. The print debuted in Summer 2013 and it’s still one of Lilly Pulitzer’s most popular prints to date. I’m kind of obsessing over the current print “So a Peeling” right now, though. It’s got all of the bright colors that I love, but it also has elephants on it. Every time I wear that print out in public, I always get compliments and it just makes me feel good.

Meredith wearing her favorite print “Let’s Cha Cha”

Why do you pay so much for the dresses?

Sometimes I’m ashamed of the money I spend on buying Lilly, but I look at it as a collection. It’s not just something to wear, it’s a part of who I am. It helps me to express myself. We only get one chance at this life, so if buying cute Lilly Pulitzer dresses makes me happy, I’m going to do it. I’ve been fortunate to find most of my Lilly Pulitzer on sale, though.

Would you consider yourself Lilly obsessed?

You can definitely say that I am Lilly obsessed. I know most of the prints by name, have a closet full of clothes and even had a Lilly Pulitzer themed graduation photoshoot done a few weeks ago.

Sam, 20, Florida

Sam wearing her favorite Lilly item

When did you buy your first dress?

I bought my first Lilly dress in a consignment shop during high school in Naples. It was a long sleeve retro print dress so it wasn’t something that I had seen other girls wear before, but I was instantly in love with the print. When I saw the Lilly label on the dress, I was surprised that I liked something that was Lilly Pulitzer so much. I never thought I’d be one of those girls who would buy Lilly. I bought the dress anyway, refusing to let my cynicism keep me from wearing something I loved. From then on, I’ve been obsessed with all things Lilly.

What’s your favorite print?

I think all the prints are so cute, but my favorite print is “First Impressions.” My second favorite is my sororities Lilly print because, I mean, how much cuter can it get than little pandas cuddling roses?

Why do you pay so much for the dresses?

It is a ridiculous price to pay sometimes, but I think it’s worth it because they are unique patterns. They’re bright and fun without being obnoxious, and I feel happy wearing it.

Yes, although being a poor college student makes it hard to get too obsessed. Otherwise I’d have Lilly everything.

My favorite Lilly item is the shift dress that my mom surprised me with for my high school graduation. I had been obsessed with the shift dresses, but I wasn’t sure if I wanted to spend so much money on one item. She surprised me with the dress right before my family was about to head out the door and I was so happy!

Megan, 21, Virginia

Megan wearing Lilly

Why is Lilly so important to you?

Lilly, to me, is a quality brand. If you buy something from Lilly Pulitzer, you expect it to last.

When did you buy your first dress?

My older sister bought me my first Lilly dress for my 18th birthday.

My wallet is my favorite Lilly item I own. I’ve used it for about two years now and I doubt I will ever change wallets.