We asked a professional for tips on female solo travel

Sometimes travel doesn’t need to be about #squadgoals

Kristin Addis

It’s summer break and the travel bug has bit you hard. Maybe it’s time you finally go on that summer Euro trip you’ve been dreaming about, or follow up on that tropical Southeast Asia itinerary you’ve slowly been building up. Perhaps this is the summer to embark on your own Eat, Pray, Love journey, or at least something like it. The point is, you’ve thought up of all these places you want to visit but have been held up by one big issue.

You’re hesitant on going alone.

Unfortunately, your travel buddies won’t always be available for going out on excursions. Fortunately, traveling alone can arguably be a great experience just as long as you’re prepared.

Author and professional solo traveler Kristin Addis of Be My Travel Muse gave us a few quick tips on traveling solo, something she’s been doing since quitting her job as investment banker.

What are some things you wish people understood about traveling solo as a female?

I wish people wouldn’t tell women who want to travel alone that it’s dangerous just because they are female. I actually think that there are a lot of advantages to traveling alone as a woman. People want to take care of me, I get invited to local events and dinners because people are fascinated, and being just one leaves room for serendipity.

How do you deal with homesickness or feeling lonely?

That part can be really hard, but in time I’ve become more and more comfortable just being on my own. If I’m really homesick, I make plans to go back and see my friends and family.

Travel insurance. Is it necessary?

It’s there if something major happens. Getting stuck with a huge bill or worse, getting held back in the country because you can’t pay your medical bill, would be a nightmare.

What are some packing essentials? What are some things that you always bring?

Packing cubes! Easy for organization.

How does one know if they’re ready to travel solo?

You just do it. It’s scary for everyone and the only way to know if you are ready is to just get out there. It doesn’t have to be a super long trip at first. Take a long weekend away. Test it out.

How important is “blending in,” like appearance wise?

In some countries, very.  Where modesty is important, definitely follow suit.

What would you say is the most important lesson you’ve learned while traveling alone?

That I’m enough, and that people are fundamentally good.

Hostels or Airbnb/Couchsurfing?

All!

Have you had any problems with creepy guys? If so, how did you deal with them?

Yes, but I did at home too. Be confident, don’t take anyone’s crap, and if something happens, never be afraid to take it to the police.