Hillary Clinton proposes stricter gun laws at Cleveland rally

‘This is a moment when all Americans need to stand together’

Hillary Clinton, the presumptive presidential nominee for the Democratic Party, addressed a crowd of supporters at the Cleveland Industrial Innovation Center Monday afternoon.

Serving as the headquarters for military and safety equipment production, the Innovation Center is a symbol of Cleveland’s working-class identity and revitalization.

But what likely would have been an economic speech in a battleground state instead became a response to the tragic events in Orlando, Florida.

Clinton immediately touched on the tragedy. “On Sunday, Americans woke up to a nightmare that’s become mind numbingly familiar — another act of terrorism in a place no one expected,” she said. “This is a moment when all Americans need to stand together.”

The former Secretary of State laid out three parts to a plan that she believes will combat future attacks:

• Making the identification and deterrence of “lone wolves” a top priority. The main issue with ISIS, according to Clinton, is the spread of its harmful ideology: “The Orlando terrorist may be dead, but the virus that poisoned his mind remains very much alive.”

• Stricter gun laws, particularly the reinstatement of the assault weapons ban passed under her husband. Omar Mateen, the suspect in the Orlando nightclub shootings, used, among other weapons, the AR-15 – the same weapon used in the Sandy Hook, Aurora, and San Bernadino tragedies. Clinton also argued those who have suspected terrorist ties or are on a no-fly list should not be able to purchase a gun.

• Co-operating with the Islamic community rather than “scapegoating or isolating.” Donald Trump was never mentioned by name, but Clinton spoke against his proposal to bar Muslims from entering the country. Such a plan would strain relationships with Muslim Americans, who “are most likely to recognize the insidious effects of radicalization before it’s too late and the best positioned help us block it.”

Clinton concluded by offering solidarity to the LGBT community, saying that they have millions of allies who will always have their back, including her. She also spoke of how the response to the Orlando tragedy – the first responders, the citizens who donated blood – reminded her of the days, weeks and months following the September 11th attacks.

“We did not attack each other. We worked with each other to protect our country and to rebuild,” she said.

Whether or not harmony can be achieved during this tumultuous political campaign, you can’t fault Hillary Clinton for trying.