‘Weapons of war have no place on our streets’

Leaders respond to Orlando atrocity with gun message

President Obama and Hillary Clinton have responded to the country’s deadliest ever mass shooting in Orlando – both linking the atrocity to the campaign for gun control. 

Hillary Clinton said the atrocity at a gay club in Florida “reminds us once more that weapons of war have no place on our streets.”

President Obama ordered that American flags be lowered to half staff to honor the victims and said: “Today, as Americans, we grieve the brutal murder — a horrific massacre — of dozens of innocent people.”

Addressing the shooter’s weaponry, Obama said:

“The shooter was apparently armed with a handgun and a powerful assault rifle. This massacre is therefore a further reminder of how easy it is for someone to get their hands on a weapon that lets them shoot people in a school, or in a house of worship, or a movie theater, or in a nightclub. And we have to decide if that’s the kind of country we want to be. And to actively do nothing is a decision as well.”

Clinton said:

“We need to keep guns like the ones used last night out of the hands of terrorists or other violent criminals.  This is the deadliest mass shooting in the history of the United States and it reminds us once more that weapons of war have no place on our streets.

“This is a time to stand together and resolve to do everything we can to defend our communities and country.”

Bernie Sanders  said: “Our thoughts are with the injured and the entire Orlando LGBTQ community.”

The Tab US obama orlando