Where should Bernie Sanders supporters go from here?

Not to Canada, please

After disappointing losses for Bernie Sanders on Tuesday, Hillary Clinton has enough delegates (including pledged deletegates and superdelegates) to win the nomination. Bernie has put up a good fight, and will continue to do so until the convention. Superdelegates can change their mind at any time, and it is still clear Clinton polls far weaker in a general election against Trump than Bernie does and she could be close to being indicted, so it’s not a total lost cause for him to trudge on. But the likelihood of him becoming the nominee is slim to none.

So where do Bernie supporters go now? Well, plenty will pinch their nose and go to Hillary Clinton because they see Trump as the ultimate enemy. A select few will go to Trump since they hate Hillary and think he could still bring the revolution. Both are understandable reasons. But a massive percentage will not go to either, and may not know what to do in November.

Well, there are two great third-party options. If you have not done your research, Gary Johnson of the Libertarian Party and Jill Stein of the Green Party are two candidates that people who are no longer sure who to vote for should check out.

Gary Johnson, once Governor of New Mexico, is more economically conservative, but is undeniably identical to Sanders on most social issues. He may believe in small government and axing the Affordable Care Act, but he also believes military action should be the last resort and that we should decrease our military presence overseas. He is big on campaign finance reform, banning torture, and getting rid of eminent domain. For those who are a little more economically right and socially left, click here to learn more about him.

Jill Stein, on the other hand, is very liberal. Her and Sanders are almost identical in every way. One difference is she is significantly more environmentally-inclined, calling for a “Green New Deal” that will put millions of Americans to work to turn our infrastructure into more eco-friendly and clean renewable energy based. She believes in universal health care, tuition-free universities, a $15 minimum wage,  making sure everyone pays their fair share of taxes whether rich or poor, and banning things like fracking and off-shore drilling. For those who are looking for another progressive to turn to, click here to learn more about her.

What Sanders supporters should NOT do, is refuse to vote. A person who does not vote has no right to complain, since they do not take advantage of a democratic system that empowers them to vote and fight for what they believe in. Of course, how democratic our system has become is a major issue in this election cycle. However, it is hard for any American to complain when countries like North Korea, Iran, and China still do not hold democratic elections. Moreover, countries like South Sudan and Yemen have no stability and there is barely even a system to work with.

I, as a Sanders supporter, am obviously very disheartened by our political system and skeptical of the voting process that took place this primary (with several sketchy voting scandals, poll-changing media-bias, Super-PACs, and the idea of “closed primaries or caucuses”).

But we must come to accept Clinton has (almost certainly) won this time around. The political revolution can still continue through electing Senators and Representatives who are ready to bring the changes this country needs, by advocating and protesting, by using the power of the people, and most importantly: by continuing to vote.

Continuing to see that Citizens United is overturned, that the corporations and wealthy pay their fair share, that workers can make a living wage, that everyone’s human rights are stayed intact and advanced, that we start to take a stance on climate change, that we build an America that works all of us, not just the few. Sanders will have left an important legacy in the hearts of many Americans, and for that, he has won in his own right.

What Sanders supporters should do next by and large, is make sure that legacy continues.