What it’s like to have a big family

It’s never quiet

I have two siblings, five cousins, four aunts and uncles, about 25 first cousins once removed, 11 great aunts and uncles, and a great-grandmother. And thats just on my mom’s side.

If you’re from a big family, you know the drill: it’s loud, you’re never alone, there are no secrets, and you’re always loved.

So whether you’re marrying into a large family or are already part of one, here’s everything I have learned from being part of a big family:

It’s never silent

Big families are loud and not in a bad way. Everyone is always socializing, laughing, joking, and just playing around that you rarely get that “peace and quiet.” So if you think you’re getting a large quiet family, think again.

You’re constantly meeting new people you’re somehow related to

So, you’re my first cousin once removed’s child? Alright cool. I’m your relative.

Reunions feel more like social gatherings

My family takes reunions to the next level. It’s not just “Let’s all come together at someone’s house.” It’s more “Let’s come together, there’s a face painter, clown, and DJ in the basement for the kids, there’s great food upstairs, and the pianist will be playing some classical music, as well.”

Everyone is always getting married, meaning more weddings for you to go to

It’s the best news to hear that one of my relatives is getting married, not only because it makes for a fun family gathering, but it makes for some good stories too. And you get to go whip out your one of your nice dresses from your closet to wear again.

Constant mayhem

A big family means you’ll have big stories that range from “Remember when your cousin ate 12 cornbread muffins or drank 57 Cokes at Uncle Bill and Aunt Susan’s wedding?” or “Let’s tie our cousin to a huge stuffed animal!” to “Want to hear about what your grandmother did when she was little?”

It always ends with laughs… and a possible reprimanding from an adult.

You’ll always have something to talk about (especially repetitive topics)

Lots of relatives means lots of conversations, and they’ll range from “Do you know what you’re doing this summer?” to funny memories they have from their childhood to even secrets they have about other family members. It’s nice to know you can never get bored because you have the whole rest of the family to greet and say hi to.

With all the challenges of who is related to who, you will eventually know you’re family tree by heart after years of practicing and explaining it to people

Yes, I have first cousins once removed who are my parent’s cousins and yes, my second cousins are my parent’s cousin’s kids. And my great grandmother had 11 kids so I have 10 great-aunts and -uncles.

And yes, I’m actually older than three of my mom’s cousins. No matter how many times you tell people, you’ll always have to keep explaining the family lineage and certain terms like, first cousin once removed.

No matter what, you’re family will always have your back

We support each other through thick and thin. Whether a family member is running for a position or they are celebrating a birthday or they got into college, you’ll always have them behind you congratulating you, helping you, and loving you every step of the way.

And I wouldn’t trade my big, crazy, wonderful family for the world.