Why you shouldn’t move to NC for the weather

Humidity is the bane of my existence

Hey y’all, what do we like to complain about the most here in North Cackalacky? The weather.

It’s funny, I always hear people talk about how they went to college down South because of the weather, how nice it is, blah blah and double blah. But when you talk to people who have lived here for a good portion of their lives, you realize the utter frustration with that concept.

I mean, a part of me does get it. I was born in upstate New York after all, the absolute inventor of crappy weather. But I promise you, it’s not all it’s cracked up to be here in NC.

One word: humidity

My family lives in California now, AKA the capital of amazing weather year-round. And let me tell you, 80 degrees there is pretty much equivalent to 60 degrees here.

That is due to one fact and one fact alone – humidity. It causes problems. Many problems.

And while we might love snow, we 1) never get the real stuff and 2) typically get more snow storms in March than during all of winter combined.

Upside? We make beer can snowmen.

While sledding down an icy road is exhilarating, there’s something about good old powder that brings out my inner-child. Also, I need to know that winter is winter and spring is spring. I’m too much of a type-A to be so confused all the time.

But no, Mother Nature has decided that seasons don’t exist in North Carolina. Which brings me to my main argument here: Mother freaking Nature is one bipolar mess. One day it’ll be 90 degrees and the next day, it’s 60 degrees. Lord help us and our wardrobes.

Even with all of the confusing days when you have to wear shorts and a jacket, or sandals with a winter hat, it’s not all bad. I have to admit, it keeps things interesting. We complain because we have nothing else to truly complain about.

Here, when the sky opens up, school is canceled and chaos ensues. Weather may be stupid and frustrating, but when we live in the best state in the country, who really cares?

In fact, I used to make these “vlogs” in middle school describing the snow level at each hour, doing special updates if we got that crucial call from school regarding “inclement weather.” (For the longest time, I had no idea what the word “inclement” meant.) I looked like an utter mess in the videos – glasses and braces and all – and it’s so embarrassing to look back at those “Brenna the Meteorologist” moments, but it’s a testament to how unpredictable the weather is here.

In the end, how can I truly fault my wonderful state? Maybe I only wrote this article to keep it all to myself. Love you, North Carolina.