The new creative scene in ‘border towns’ combines pop art with Mexican culture

Art and fashion on the edge of America

In the border town of Brownsville, Texas, groups of aspiring artists, performers and stylists diligently work together behind the scenes to achieve a common goal: establishing a thriving and stable community based on artistic self-expression.

While the low Rio Grande Valley area of Texas is not particularly known for its art scene, these young creatives are seriously devoted to bringing a higher sense of beauty to the region.

Locally organized events such as gallery shows and markets are slowly becoming a staple in the still mostly underground scene. Borrowing some of the eclectic ambiance of cities such as Austin has allowed border towns to expand their horizons and further explore their creative potential.

Examples of these events include fashion shows and galleries, such as one held earlier in the month by Brownsville resident Nolan Navarro.

“The purpose of this show was to kick off the launch of my new style blog,” Nolan said, bringing attention to the important role played by social media when putting together these types of events.

This show sought to challenge masculinity standards by having the models change into non binary outfits in front of the audience.

Fashion and art shows in this area of the country often seek to challenge existing gender and social roles, which can be particularly powerful in a culture which embraces strong Hispanic conservative values.

Non binary attire and the blending of Mexican culture with pop art are to be expected at a majority of these border town art shows. Street art and mural painting are also experiencing a tremendous growth in popularity in the region.

A work in progress

All in all, it’s an exciting time for young creatives contributing to the artistic renaissance that is slowly but surely taking the southernmost part of the nation by storm.