Meet the independents voting in today’s California primary

‘I dislike all candidates almost equally’

Today’s California primary has a huge play in deciding whether or not Bernie Sanders still stands a chance in winning the nomination.

Bernie holds a large backing with independents or unaffiliated party voters. He has constantly proven that he outperforms Clinton among states that have less harsh policies towards independents. According to the Institute for the Study of Politics and Citizens, Bernie outranked Clinton in independent support with 43 percent of independents surveyed supporting Sanders.

An older poll from the beginning of the election season by IVN shows that Sanders had always led with independent voters.

Source: Five Thirty Eight

One of the massive arguments that have been made against the voting systems of most states is how exclusive they are to independent voters. According to KCRA, thousands of Californian independent voters have been left out of the presidential primary already due to vague and confusing rules. So we decided to ask actual Californian voters with and without a specific party if they also believe that.

Maria Navarro, 18, Politics and Spanish major at NYU

So you were formerly registered as an Independent voter, what made you change your registration to Democrat?

I changed registration more as a psychological statement that I was firm in my intent to vote anti-Trump.

Do you think the system is flawed towards independent voters?

I think it is unfair in a way. Recently I got a pamphlet from the independent voters league basically telling me who to vote for (it listed all Democrats I should vote for with Hillary for president by the way). It’s just that independents are targets now that are seen as generally uninformed when in fact that’s not always the case. Also some states don’t allow you to vote in primaries if you’re not registered with a specific party.

Who do you plan on voting for in the primaries?

I dislike all the candidates almost equally. But I intend on voting for Bernie Sanders since I dislike him less than I dislike Trump and Clinton.

Ruby Rosetta Pittman, 18 years old, Business and Technology Management Major at NYU

So why are you voting for in the primary?

I’m turning 18 on June 6th, which is just in time for the California primaries on Tuesday. It’s the best birthday present to be able to exercise my right to vote.

Why are you planning on voting Democrat rather than independent?

I am registered as a Democrat, as California’s election is semi-closed. Also the only definite way I can exercise my right to vote for my preferred candidate that shares my socially liberal outlook is through registering with the Democrats. Registering as a Democrat reveals the system’s inconsistency with representing the Independent party, not to be confused with the American Independent Party (AIP). The AIP is a far-right party that a majority of California’s Independents accidentally signed up for because of California’s decision to label the Independent party as a “no party preference” on the registration page. Republicans have elected to make this year a closed primary. So with a “no party preference” you won’t be able to vote for a Republican nominee. Democrats are doing the opposite.

Do you think the system is unfair towards independent voters?

Of course. Going off of my previous answer, the system is flawed. It’s not fair for those who are for the candidate’s strengths and bipartisanship rather than a specific party.

Senator Bernie Sanders. In terms of other elected officials, I mainly support those who happen to be Democrats. However, at the root of this, every front-running presidential and non-presidential candidate is their own entity and has a shot at winning this election.

John, 20, Economics Major at NYU

Why do you identify as an independent?

I’m independent because I don’t think there are enough parties. I also don’t align with either of the two major parties. I also don’t like Trump or Clinton. Trump is too bombastic. I also don’t think Clinton has done a good job as Secretary of State.

I do think the system is unfair towards independent voters. But the bigger problem relates to Duverger’s law and two party rule.

I don’t support any of the main stream Presidential candidates. I like the Libertarian candidate, Gary Johnson.

Zach, 26, recent NYU Master’s graduate in Politics

What party are you registered to vote with in the primaries?

I’ve been a registered Democrat since 2008, when I first registered to vote at age 18.

California has a good system. I mean the independents or “no party preference” voters can vote in primaries. In addition, the rules that are applied are fair, because they must only vote in one party’s primary. But when it comes to other primaries, I think that it’s shameful and discriminatory that independents are barred from voting in the primaries of many-if not most- states.

Let’s put it this way: every time a state like New York holds a primary, then the state is printing ballots and staffing polling places. These things are funded by ALL taxpayers, so to bar some of those taxpayers from participating in a democratic election for President is, in my view, a form of voter segregation or discrimination.

Finally, who do you plan on voting for in the primaries?

Actually I’ve voted absentee in CA in every election for which I was eligible, and have already mailed in my ballot for this primary. I voted for Bernie Sanders.