Everything that happens when you try the Military diet

Not only did I lose four pounds in three days but also ate bugs and had an endless headache

I love food, and I do not even want to imagine my life without food. 

However, a week ago, I found out about the Military diet – a three-day meal plan that promises the weight loss of up to 10 pounds a week. The diet includes hot dogs and ice cream, which I thought was strange since those are usually not considered diet-friendly.

Fueled by curiosity, my friend Kaitlin said, “Let’s do it!” Influenced by her enthusiasm, I  decided to go along with it. I thought, ‘This cannot be too bad. It is only for three days anyway. Maybe I can even get rid of the ice cream belly that I gained during finals week.’

A few hours into day one, I started deeply regretting that decision.

Day one

Breakfast: 1/2 grapefruit, 1 slice toast, 2 tablespoons peanut butter & 1 cup coffee or tea (caffeinated)

8:30am: I am a huge fan of breakfast food, but I do not like having breakfast in the morning because I am usually too tired to be hungry. Although eating right now seems like a waste, I have to in order for this diet to work.

11:50am: I want a bagel.

Lunch: 1/2 cup tuna, 1 slice toast & 1 cup coffee or tea (caffeinated)

12:50pm: Since I usually eat a big lunch, I am utterly disappointed that I only get toast and tuna today. Even though I miss food-truck curry, I am glad the tuna is filling me up. However, a half cup of tuna is just too much, and I am worried that I am going to smell like fish after I finish it.

3:45pm: I asked Kaitlin just now whether she wanted noodles for dinner. She said, “No, we are not giving up now.” It took me a while to realize how useless my question was. It does not matter whether we want noodles because we cannot eat them anyway.

5:10pm: I am hungry.

6:00pm: I am so hungry.

Dinner: 1/2 banana, 3 ounces meat, 1 cup green beans, 1 small apple & 1 cup vanilla ice cream

6:15pm: I am eating half of a banana which is a part of today’s dinner. A banana has never before tasted so good.

7:00pm: Even though I am not a big fan of apples and the chicken looks smaller than I expected, I am just glad that I can eat again. I shredded the chicken after I took the photo of the meal, and now I am eating it strip by strip. This is my effort to eat very slowly so that the food lasts longer.

8:00pm: I do not know how ice cream is going to help me lose weight, but sugar sure as hell tastes good.

11:00pm: Dinner was definitely not enough because I am hungry again. I am going to bed now so that I can eat breakfast soon.

Day two

Breakfast: 1 egg, 1 slice toast & 1/2 banana

1 egg, 1 slice toast & 1/2 banana

8:30am: Surprisingly I am not very hungry, but I am still going to enjoy the meal. This is a good amount of food for me in the morning, and I love eggs.

8:55am: Kaitlin, who usually eats a big breakfast, seems to be still hungry. She ate the little leftover pieces of egg on my plate.

11:00am: My growling stomach tells me I should have waited until now to eat breakfast.

11:20am: I feel dizzy, so I am going to take a short nap.

Lunch: 1 slice colby-jack (alternative to 1 cup cottage cheese), 1 hard boiled egg & 5 saltine crackers

1 slice colby-jack (alternative to 1 cup cottage cheese), 1 hard boiled egg & 5 saltine crackers

12:30pm: Lunch is very good, though not enough. Kaitlin and I still lack energy, and we both agree that going outside sounds painful right now.

12:50pm: We licked the plates to eat the cracker crumbs. It is only day two, and I think I have already hit rock bottom.

2:00pm: I am at a public library with my friends. They offered snacks and drinks but quickly remembered I am on a diet. I am glad that I am at least no longer dizzy.

3:00pm: Nope, my headache came back.

Dinner: 2 hot dogs (without bun), 1 cup broccoli, 1/2 cup carrots, 1/2 banana & 1/2 cup vanilla ice cream

2 hot dogs (without bun), 1 cup broccoli, 1/2 cup carrots, 1/2 banana & 1/2 cup vanilla ice cream

5:00pm: While most of my friends went out for dinner together, I am back in my apartment.

5:30pm: It is finally dinner time! Who would have known that I would get excited about hot dogs, broccoli and carrots?

6:10pm: When I was almost done eating the vegetables, I found bugs on the broccoli. I do not even want to think about how many bugs I just ate. Yes, I am still hungry. NOPE, I am not finishing the little bug trees.

I guess I got some extra protein today.

I guess I got some extra protein today.

7:00pm: I still have a bad headache, so I am going to take another nap.

10:30pm: Great, now I have a stomachache on top of an already bad headache.

Day three

10:30am: Wow, I had two nightmares last night, and I was on a diet in one of them.

Breakfast: 5 saltine crackers, 1 slice colby-jack & 1 small apple

Day 3 Breakfast

10:45am: Even though I still have no appetite in the morning, my stomach is happy to see the saltine crackers again.

Lunch: 1 hardboiled egg & 1 slice toast

Day 3 Lunch

1:30pm: I am actually not that hungry, and I have not thought about food since breakfast. It seems like my body has realized that throwing a tantrum does not always work. I am not sure whether I should be happy or sad.

2:00pm: Today’s lunch looks very simple; but, hey, I am at least getting a full egg and a full slice of toast.

4:00pm: I am at my favorite bubble tea bar with a friend. The scent of tapioca pearls entices me, but I resist.

Dinner: 1 cup tuna, 1/2 banana & 1 cup vanilla ice cream

Day 3 Dinner

6:30pm: I cannot believe this is only one cup of tuna. I am watching TV to distract myself from the fishy smell.

7:30pm: That was a decent amount of food for dinner, and I do not have a headache or a stomachache.

Following the military diet, I was able to lose a significant amount of weight in just three days. By the morning after day three, I have lost four pounds. My stomach is flat, and my waist looks smaller.

Finally reunited with my one true love, bubble tea.

Finally reunited with my one true love, bubble tea

Do I think it was worth it? No.

Although the last day was more tolerable than the first two days, the continued headache and a sense of lethargy dragged me down the entire time. I was not my usual energetic self. I was easily exhausted and often felt the need to take a nap.

Moreover, food is a huge part of my life. Not having control over what I can eat restricted my social life and just generally stressed me out.

I do not think I will try a fad diet ever again. I am just going to stick to healthy eating and regular exercise.

More articles recommended by this author:

I tried a ridiculous yoga mum diet for a day

I tried a fad diet and lost three kilograms in three days

How much good does going vegan for ‘Veganuary’ actually do?