These are the badass women going on the back of the 10 dollar bill

Alexander Hamilton isn’t the only fresh face on American currency

England has been ahead of the curve when it comes to representing women on the national currency, to which I say – America let’s pull it together. Women are trying to earn that dough just as much as men are, and it’d be nice to feel represented when we occasionally keep the cards away and tosh around that cash.

It’s common news that Harriet Tubman’s face will be gracing every crisp $20, but very recent news suggests that more ladies are going to be honored on that green. Alexander Hamilton is the new front of the $10 bill, but you’re now bound to see some lady power on the back.

Susan B. Anthony, Lucretia Mott, Alice Paul, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and Sojourner Truth are going to be representing us ladies in that economic realm.

These women are pretty badass, but because of that teeny societal favoring of men over women that has dictated majority of things for the majority of history, people might be lacking in female historical facts. So here’s some information and inspiration from these women who are going to be making those $10 bills look fly.

Susan B. Anthony: Raised as a Quaker she spoke publicly about temperance and abolitionism before becoming pretty much the leader of the women’s suffrage movement.

Lucretia Mott: One of the women responsible for the Seneca Falls Convention that presented a platform for women’s rights as a response to be denied the speaking podium by men a few weeks prior at an abolitionist event.

Alice Paul: Led protests for women’s suffrage, got put in jail, and then proceeded to lead a hunger strike after being appalled by the prison conditions.

Elizabeth Cady Stanton: Co-organized the Seneca Falls Convention with Mott and served as the president of the National Woman Suffrage Association for years, being awarded one of their best orators and leaders.

Sojourner Truth: escaped slavery with her infant daughter before becoming a speaker advocating to protect fugitive slaves and to join the Union.

These women were such radicals of their times and spoke up to help make the world kinder and freer with equality. Of course all of this isn’t as well known as Alexander Hamilton claiming that front spot. Now don’t get me wrong, I love Hamilton, real and stage, just as much as the next theatre kid, but that fact that he gets the front spot while the back is split between five women seems a smidge ridiculous. Sure Hamilton was in charge of the treasury and it makes sense to give him that spot for an economic system he helped design, but I can’t help feeling like women are getting stiffed.

This is a great start to represented some amazing women who helped improve the American cultural system, but let’s remember that just like these five women are fighting to share the back of one bill, women today are fighting to get the full dollar on pay day.