I’m afraid I won’t get a job because of my tattoo

How much do employers actually care about what I choose to ink on my body?

Some students may have tattoos, maybe one or two or even a full sleeve. But can these tattoo’s affect your job application? That’s one fear I have, but then again our time is changing. I have two tattoos that are in  locations where I can easily hide them. Tattoo number one is hidden on my right hip – this one was my first one I got when I was 18 years old. The second is on my right shoulder blade. I want  to pursue medical school and become a surgeon, but will my tattoos make other people think of me differently?

Tattoos are often viewed negatively – supposedly they make us look less attractive, less intelligent and more rebellious. We are told that we need to look business-like, be neat, clean and professional. Having tattoos is “unprofessional.” I would understand if it was a bad tattoo such as a curse word, something perverted,or something like “No Ragrets.” My tattoo on the other hand is a stop watch and flowers, I doubt that would look “unprofessional.”

We are discriminated by how we look, but that doesn’t change our knowledge or the skills we have. I know if I receive my doctorate degree and went through med school and became successful, having my tattoos doesn’t change my brain. I will still be able to save your life tattoos or not.

My Dad’s tattoo: He says he dislikes the way it came out and he plans to get it fixed. My dad was once in the army and this is the tattoo he was suppose to get, but pushed it off until now

I remember getting my first tattoo, I thought my dad would like it and thought my mom would raise hell but it was actually the other way around. I didn’t know I was supposed to wait for both my parents to come with me to get my first tattoo (though they are both against me getting any at all). My mom is a religious women and she hates tattoos, yeah she disliked mine at first but got used to them since they are on my body, permanently. My dad has a tattoo, but always hides it since he dislikes how it came out. Sometimes it can be upsetting because I do have the occasional family member that always discriminates or gossips. But I’m doing well in my life and following my dream so when they ask that most annoying question of, “Don’t you regret getting them?” I will pick up my head and simply say, “No.”

I’ve even had people tell me “Watch, you will regret them when you get older.” Honestly no, no I won’t, I love the tattoos I have on my body, and that’s final! I will quote my friend who also has tattoos who said, “Hey, my body is a temple too… It just has stained glass windows.” I love this quote because it’s how I see my tattoos.  Each one carefully selected, I give my decision a year, the time frame will help me decide if I want it or if I think it’ll look stupid.

My second tattoo I got when I was 19 years old. Double infinity tattoo means double happiness. This tattoo is for me through difficult situations I still came out with a smile. It reminds me to persevere through anything

Hopefully tattoos will be looked upon differently, maybe people who have tattoos will be discriminated less. For people who don’t have tattoos and want one, I advise you to take a year or two on your decision, think about your profession, think about placement, also think about how much it will cost (normally it costs a lot for a tattoo that is done well), think of the establishment where you will get it done, and finally bring someone who will want to share the experience.

My 1st tattoo. This tattoo represents my great grandmother. The clock shows more time I wish I could spend with her and the flowers representing her green thumb. She always had flowers in her apartment.