How did this commercial for feminine wash become so sexist?

Also why are we so afraid of the word ‘vagina’?

If you’re a female (or have a TV/ have been to a drug store), you have probably heard of Summer’s Eve washes. They are vaginal cleansing products that are PH balanced, and come in a variety of soaps, cloths, bars, etc.

Well, I recently saw one of their commercials and I have a few things to say about it.

A little background on the commercial first, shall we?

So it starts off with a man showering, and his girlfriend, wife, concubine, what have you, is in the bathroom with him. She starts talking about the Summer’s Eve cleansing wash as he soaps himself up and then informs him that instead of using his manly protein-drinking-bench-pressing man body wash, he is actually using her Summer’s Eve.

The look of horror on that man’s face is priceless.

He then goes on an abundance of man escapades in an attempt to rid himself of any vagina vibes that could have hindered his oh so fragile masculinity.

These escapades include:

Chopping wood

Because a girl would never do that, we would actually rather freeze to death than make firewood for ourselves.

Playing the drums

Very manly, no girls allowed. Except of course for Meg White, Gina Schock, Cindy Blackman, and countless others.

Pulling a car by his teeth

OK, I’m just confused here. Is this a thing? Under what circumstances did someone first feel the need to do this? Whatever the reason, count me out. I have absolutely no idea why teeth strength has been designated a manly quality, but my pearly whites beg to differ.

Other manly activities include: drinking an egg yolk, working out, doing a belly flop into a pool, karate chopping wood, welding his own Spartan-like helmet (I would actually like one of those) and then proceeding to mow the lawn in it.

Homeboy had quite the day.

So I have a few issues with this.

Issue #1

Why did this man get so freaked out about touching feminine wash?? He’s living with a woman who he is comfortable enough to have in the bathroom with him while he showers, clearly something’s been going on there. I’m going to guess that this man has made some sort of contact with a vagina, and so he probably shouldn’t have any issues with the soap that keeps it clean. He actually should probably be pretty happy about it.

Issue #2

In the commercial the woman refers to a woman’s vagina as a “V”. The slogan for Summer’s Eve is also “Hail to the V”.

Question: What is a “V”?

Answer: It is a letter in the English alphabet.

This company makes products to wash vaginas, it is making money off of vaginas, the word is not poison – it is actually your meal ticket so let’s all say it together: VAGINA!

Issue #3

Why have these activities been designated as manly? I understand the concept of more masculine activities, I understand that a few of these activities are traditionally gauged towards men. But in this commercial the man is trying to repel any essence of a woman, and implying that no woman would ever be caught performing such tasks.

This commercial is perpetuating gender norms, and denying that women can be strong and masculine (just like a man could be delicate and feminine if he so feels). A commercial towards women should not limit them, it should empower them.

So, I will continue to hail to my v(agina), and I might just be chopping some wood while I do it.