My small Georgia town is my safe haven, which is exactly why I need to leave

Being too comfortable and playing it safe is not living

Winder is a quaint little town (we got a Target a few years ago, so does that make us a city now?) in north Georgia with a population of roughly 14,000 people. It is a great place to grow up and live because of its rural small town vibe, amazing people and the community that is stronger than any other.

This small Southern town taught me who I am and who I need to be for the rest of my life. I learned how to be a gentleman to others. I learned the value of community and relationships. I learned that integrity precedes success. Most importantly, I learned that life is not defined by who you are in society, but rather by what you do for society.

Winder has not only been my home for the past 21 years, but it has also been my sanctuary. I know that no matter what happens to me in this journey we call life, I will always have a house to come home to in a community that will withstand the test of time.

I will always have family and friends in my corner and they will all have me in theirs. We know everything about each other – a blessing and a curse – and have always been a part of each others’ lives. Something I have learned to cling to because you never know when this luxury will be taken away.

The people here lead by example. Our fathers show us how to be kind to women, resilient in times of tragedy and succeed while remaining true to ourselves. Our mothers show us the importance of moving through life with grace, remaining independent while working as a unit and caring for yourself as you care for others. Our friends show us Southern dignity, elegance and compassion, while their mothers show us good Southern hospitality.

It is because of these lessons that I came to realize my final lesson and the most important of them all. Winder was my childhood home. It is where countless Christmases, Thanksgiving dinners and Fourth of July parties took place. It is where I learned to walk, talk, read and write. It is where I came into myself and became the best version of myself.

It will always have a special place in my heart, yet, I cannot stay here. I have outgrown my childhood home where I learned so many things about myself, others and life in general. I have come to learn that the world is bigger than just your home base. I have learned that you are not truly living if you are not scared or uncomfortable at times, and in Winder, I was not.

It was my safe haven, where I could come when times got tough or when I simply just wanted to visit with family and friends. I got too comfortable in Winder and when I went to college, I realized the significance of the unknown. I was drawn to the fear and awkwardness of being somewhere unfamiliar. I loved the feeling of starting new. Starting where no one knew anything about me.

I could create my own Winder. I can choose to surround myself with more great people. I can find a community where things are almost too perfect. I can do this anywhere. Sure, I’ll be scared, alone and uncomfortable, but that is life.

Being too comfortable, settling for almost perfect and playing it safe is not living. I can not live in Winder.