Joining a service sorority was the best thing I did in college

It may not be your typical sorority, but Gamma Sigma Sigma has changed my life

On the first day of my freshman year at the University of Delaware, I first heard about Gamma Sigma Sigma at an activities fair. I was thinking about joining a sorority, and have always loved community service, so I thought that it would be a unique and awesome experience to join.

My friends and I at a service project called ‘Rock Your Socks’, that raised awareness for Down Syndrome

Not your average sorority

While waiting for spring semester rush/recruitment, I debated whether I should join Gamma Sig or rush a Panhellenic, social sorority. However, I became more certain that Gamma Sig was the one for me. The idea of doing so many  community service projects while meeting tons of new girls was something that I really like.  It made me feel a part of something bigger in the community while making a difference.

Founder’s Day with my sisters

Service, Friendship and Equality

When I finally got to join Gamma Sig, I was so excited. I met so many girls in my pledge or now called MIT (Member in Training) Class. Anyone can join, as long as we complete 20 hours of service during our Member-In-Training Semester, and keep a certain GPA. I got to do many great service projects such as volunteering at a children’s hospital, going to UDance (a 12 hour Dance Marathon at UD to raise money and awareness for Pediatric Cancer) and a special MIT project for all of the new girls. The amount of hours sounds overwhelming, but it’s easier than you think to get to hours.

MIT Project, Spring 2015

Serve, serve, serve

I’ve learned about Gamma Sig’s 5 Service partners and every semester we vote on our philanthropy. Fall semester we had Cancer Care Connection, and spring semester and now fall semester again , our philanthropy is Preston’s Playground. This all inclusive playground is being built for children with disabilities in Newark, DE where UD is so it’s great making a difference right in our local area.  Every spring we do Relay for Life, to walk for those who can’t, and raise thousands of dollars for UDance benefitting hundreds of families affected by cancer.

UDance 2015

Sisterhood

When I joined as a freshman in Spring 2015, I met so many sweet and welcoming girls.  From unity events, MIT events, and service projects, there was always a smiling face making you feel welcome. There’s always someone you know around campus to say hi to, someone to talk to, and hang out with. We other fun events such as Activation, Founder’s Day, Senior Send Off and Formal.

Families

With the big and little process,  Gamma Sig has families with their own special traditions and family names. I was so lucky to find my big at our family’s Interview Party over a year ago. Since then, I’ve also taken a little and have become friends with many girls in my family and in different families too. My family (called the Hot Mess Family) has a tradition of going to Apple Bee’s after Activation for the MITs.  Some other families are the Harry Potter Family, Sweetheart Family, and the Disney Princess Family.

Some of my fabulous Gamma Sig Family!

The power of service

Joining Gamma Sig has been amazing all around. I’ve met some of the nicest, most kind hearted and genuine girls that I know, while giving back to the community. It’s taught me to always want to help people and make a difference in something bigger than yourself.