Working minimum-wage as a college student isn’t bad

Why is there such a stigma around it?

As summer rapidly approached, suddenly it hit: the stress, surge, and rush to find an internship for the summer.

I felt it even as a freshman. Many of my friends began sending mass emails to professors asking for research, distributing newly updated resumes to corporations in San Francisco, and spending an inordinate amount of time online scanning for internship or research opportunities. I, too, began to search the typical Google entry “internships for college students.” I didn’t even know where to begin –  I have no idea what my major is going to be, let alone what kind of internship I’d want.

The results of my search were disappointing. For the few positions I found that were appealing to me, they either required prior experience in that field (which I didn’t have), a declared major in that field (which I didn’t have), or the application deadline was already passed. All that came from my extensive internship search was a stunted self-confidence, a gloomy outlook on the upcoming summer, and a pessimistic view of my lack of accomplishments.

To avoid spending my entire summer lazing around, I only had one choice: get a job. So I got two –  one hostessing at a restaurant and one working at a little art and furniture store.

Obligatory first day of work selfie

I was excited by the prospects of my newly secured positions and that I would be doing something productive this summer. I began to think that it might even be fun. But when I told people I would be hostessing and working retail, and not interning or doing research, I received pity and condescension in return.

My friends and classmates  would say things like, “Well, at least you’ll be making some money” or “At least you’ll be busy.” Why did my plan of working at a minimum-wage job over summer elicit such patronizing responses?

I felt both ashamed with my situation and frustrated at the commonly held negative perception of so-called menial, minimum-wage jobs. I was ashamed that I, unlike many of my peers, wasn’t proactive enough to secure research or an internship. I was ashamed that I wasn’t getting career-oriented experience or networking for future connections.

My frustration, ultimately, came from the realization that my disappointment stemmed largely from the constraining societal conventions and expectations for college students. There is an incredible culture of fierce competition and a widespread need to get ahead or get experience or stand out among one’s peers. Everyone seems to follow a strict formula: go to a good college, get an internship, graduate, then go to grad school or professional work.

That is where the condescension I experienced came from; if someone isn’t going by the standard formula, the formula-followers believe that he or she will not be successful.

Beautiful, competitive UC Berkeley

While it is true that there may be a bit of an incongruity of working a minimum-wage job while attending a prestigious university, it is not “wasting talent” or “being lazy.”

Many students, like me, will waitress or work in retail while in college. Some, like me, simply did not get an internship or research position. Others are saving up to pay off their impending crippling debt after college. Others are funding their penchant for gourmet food or exotic travel destinations. These students may not even deviate from the formula. And even if they do end up differing from the norm, so what?

Working in retail or waitressing while you are attending university should not be seen as a bad thing. You are working. You are doing something valuable with your time, whether it is to save money or to build people skills or to appease your parents; you are putting your precious time and effort into labor. That is nothing to be ashamed of.

Dom Olivera, Princeton, Burger King

Dom in uniform

For Dom, working a minimum-wage job has been a good experience so far, but he definitely doesn’t plan on doing it again next summer. Instead, he plans on getting experience in his intended field of work to be more competitive.

“I think that there is definitely a stigma attached to working a minimum wage job, especially as someone who goes to an Ivy League.

“I got a ton of comments from my high school friends that were pretty condescending; like ‘You’re going to Princeton but you can’t get a better job.’  And after completing a year here, most of my classmates are going to Greece for classes or they’re interning with NASA or something incredible like that and I’m working a fast food job.”

Karla Musso, University of Florida, Hostess at Cracker Barrel 

Karla on her way to work

Karla’s family has always encouraged her to work a minimum-wage job because it gives valuable experience starting at the bottom.

She said through working as a hostess, she has developed better people skills and among other things.

“It boosts your self-esteem because you are working and earning money; when you see that money come in you are grateful and happy because you are doing something with your life. You develop experience on how to handle small tasks and to cooperate with other people who get paid minimum wage because we are all in this together.

She added: “Managers are often more likely to recommend you because they know pay is second to you as experience is first, and you are on the ladder to keep moving up since you get to know everything at the bottom. I work with the servers and bussers, I know some stuff about their duties and when I move to being a server I have that under my belt.

“Overall, getting paid a minimum wage job is better than not getting paid at all and gaining a resume at the time”.

Kayla Main, UC San Diego, Student Bookstore

Kayla at work

Kayla works through the school during the school year, and then works at a sandwich shop at home over summer.

“I definitely feel judged for working an easy or minimum wage job instead of having a ‘real’ job.” She said people often comment to her, “At least you’re making money.”

To combat the judgement she receives, Kayla explains her role is manageable with her busy schedule and still allows her to make money. Even though the conversation ends there, Kayla still feels there is a hidden form of judgement when she tells people where she works.

Despite the comments and condescension she receives, she is proud to just be working while she is a student. “It should be impressive enough to work and go to school as a full-time student,” Kayla said.

For students like Dom, Karla, Kayla and me, working a minimum-wage job is just one aspect of our full college lives. It helps keep us busy and productive during the summer or school year, and lets us earn a little money for ourselves. We learn to value hard work outside of our university bubble.

The only conception of college students working a minimum-wage job that should exist is one that regards their choice to do so as respectable, motivated, and driven.