Everything I learned from babysitting

Kids aren’t easy, especially if they’re not yours

Every parent, and the babysitter, would like an instruction book to go with every “lovable” child. Perhaps, a book full of the child’s favorite snacks, games, communication tactics, nap-time suggestions, and eating maneuver’s, all catered to each specific child. In an ideal world a “Bible” for children would exist, but unfortunately, it doesn’t. After spending an entire summer nannying I have some babysitting suggestions…

Kids will do what they want. Including ripping up your glorious drawing of a cat in a window.

Step 1: Face the parents.

Over the past year, I have gone face-to-face with wealthy models, retired ski bums, and even a few single parent families. Normally, once you get to your job, the parents will introduce themselves, their children (or child), and basically, run you through how they would like their child to be spending their time while they are away. Depending if the job is at night or in the daytime activities will change accordingly.

• Activity suggestions for daytime 
    • Play with them. Get in touch with your childish side and imagine you’re the evil step-mother while they are Cinderella.
    • ICE CREAM. Kids love this ice cold sticky crack. It’s practically a summer staple in their diets. Remember one word with this activity-NAPKINS!
    • One word: Napkins. That.is.all.
    • Baking, whether you are making cookies or a boxed cake kids like to bake. They like to feel like a “grown up,” and if you cook with them it is a clear indicator to the parents that their child didn’t just watch TV, or play games on your phone while they were away.
    • TAKE THE CHILDREN OUTSIDE. Kids have a lot of energy, all of which they need to get out in order to sleep, and eat well.
    • Drawing is always a good time. Kids still have a ton of creative juices flowing, so tell them to grab a crayon and throw their ideas on paper.
  • Activity suggestions for evening 
    • Build a fort. Honestly, I am a rising sophomore in college and I still love forts. Fill the fort with blankets and their stuffed animals and cuddle up for a movie.
    • Take them to the library. This activity is time-consuming and if the child picks out a few books you can read them.
    • Watch a movie, remember to always ask their parents if they can watch a movie first.
    • Board games. Search through their hallway closet and find a few kid-friendly games.

Step 2: Become acquainted with the child. 

Once the parents leave, you are just left with the kids. From the kids perspective, you are a complete stranger. One that they have to spend time with for the next 3+ hours. So be respectful of the child and their toys, but try sitting down next to them, on their level, and ask if you can play with them.

Kids are just little people, so while playing try asking them questions. Ex: “Where do you go to school?” “What are some of your favorite subjects?” “What are some of your favorite things to do?” Try your best to become “friends” with the child, but try your best to maintain an authority figure, by stating how old you are and what you are doing. You are the boss in this situation and you need to stay that way in the child’s eye, but it is easier for the child to cooporate when you are “friends.”

Step 3: Maintain the parents requests. 

Before the parents leave, they will most likely mention their child’s normal routines. So, if they want you to make Mac’n’Cheese, for dinner, then you should make Mac’n’Cheese for dinner. If they want their child to take a bath before bedtime, as the babysitter you need to make sure their child is clean and prepped for a night’s slumber.

• Suggestions for achieving nap-time/going to sleep.
    • Make sure the child is in bed, and under the covers.
    • Try reading two books – three is too many, and one is usually not enough.
    • Let the child understand that you are “only reading two books” and that they must go to sleep once you are done reading them.
    • Shut all windows and dim lights.
    • After you have read ask if they want a cup of water.
    • Then say goodnight, let them know that you would be in the living room if they need anything, and tell them when their parents will be getting  home.

Step 4: DO THE DISHES! 

Parents really appreciate any help straightening up the house. You don’t have to clean their home top to bottom, but try loading the dishwasher and straightening up a little bit. Look around the house and see what could use straightening up, and just do it.

Step 5: Relax

There is a great deal of downtime during babysitting. So, always bring, a good book, Netflix, or homework, that you can be doing once you have some time to yourself.