How I got an internship at CBS News

I wasn’t just an intern behind the camera

Tiarra Braddock is a student at Ithaca College pursuing her passion for journalism academically and professionally. Braddock studied abroad in London for the Spring 2016 semester and was able to further her journalistic experience at CBS News London Bureau.

She wasn’t just an intern behind the cameras, but also the face of news as she practiced her stand-ups and assisted the CBS News Crew on shoots. Braddock has completed her internship at CBS News London Bureau this spring, and she will continue this summer as an intern at CBS News in New York City.

The Tab spoke with Tiarra about how she got the internship with CBS News and what the experience was like interning abroad, as well as working behind the scenes and in front of the camera.

Tiarra Braddock interning at CBS News London

How did you learn about this opportunity?

I applied to CBS London because an Ithaca College student who previously studied in London told me it would be a good idea to apply for the internship at the London Bureau. So I gave it a try and once I started interning at CBS London, I loved it and decided to apply for the CBS News NYC summer internship.

Did you go into the office to interview in-person? Was that intimidating, easy, or worrying?

I actually did a Skype interview before I got to London and it was very intimidating because I was so nervous about getting such an important job. I prepared so much for this interview and had so many notes.

Where was your internship and what were your responsibilities?

My internship was located at the Chiswick Business Park in zone 3 of London. As a CBS News London intern, I had different responsibilities depending on what department I worked in. When I worked with the news desk team, I helped the news desk staff with research and any other task they assigned me. When I worked with the web team, I edited and posted articles for the CBS News world page on their website. I was also a production assistant when I went on shoots with the London correspondents and camera crew.

Charlie D’Agata and Braddock at Turnham Green Park in London.

Did you meet any of the anchors? Did you do an on-air test? How was that kind of experience? 

I did a lot of logging interviews for some of the correspondents and was able to accompany them on the news shoots. Some of the correspondents I worked with were Mark Phillips, Charlie D’Agata, Holly Williams, Jonathan Vigliotti and Elizabeth Palmer. It was an honor meeting all of these talented correspondents. I did have some on-air experience at the London Bureau, as I was able to practice my on-air reporting with one of the CBS News Camera Men and other interns.

Do you wish you had been prepared in any other way for this internship?

I honestly didn’t know what to expect working in a British environment, but my internship coordinator gave me helpful advice on what to expect while working in London and what would help me adjust to the work environment. I just relied on the knowledge I had from my previous TV news internship and applied it to the London internship.

What do you hope to gain from working at CBS News in New York City this summer?

I hope to gain more on-air experience and improve my writing while interning at CBS News this summer. I am also hoping to gain more knowledge about working with news on a national level. I have experience with local and international news and now I will learn the dynamics of national news. I am looking forward to working in a big city with so much to offer.

Tiarra doing her CBS News standup