Frat bros at Tulane built a ‘Make America Great Again’ wall outside their house

…and then the football team stepped up and pulled it down

The Tulane University football team emerged as unlikely heroes in the fight against Trumpian bigotry today.

The New Orleans campus erupted in fury after members of the Kappa Alpha fraternity built a wall around their house painted with the words “Trump” and “Make America Great Again”.

The wall

Though the building of a wall around the frat house is part of an annual tradition, students and members of the Latino community were outraged by the writing, accusing the frat of promoting “hate-fueled xenophobic rhetoric”.

And today The Tab Tulane reported an uplifting twist in the tale. Eyewitnesses saw players on the football team removing the sandbags in protest.

A post on Facebook about the wall

The Tab Tulane team has seen a video which shows a crowd of roughly 20 people surrounding the Kappa Alpha house and sandbags being thrown over cars and into the street.

Frat bros can be heard saying: “Stop, hey we’re taking them all down, alright.” “This is private property.” “Fuck that, get inside.”

A student petition emerged this afternoon praising the actions of the wall-destroyers. It says: “We the undersigned stand in solidarity with the individuals who took the brave action of dismantling the wall in front of Kappa Alpha Fraternity House.”

It describes the wall as “overtly threatening towards Muslim and Latino students” and says “When Kappa Alpha built a wall, a physical manifestation of the wall that Trump desires, they are making his racist sentiments material.”

The petition, which has been signed by 352 people at time of writing, adds: “The wall is a tangible embodiment of the daily aggressions that Latino and Muslim students face at this school.”

One commenter under the petition said: “LATINOS MATTER AND WE’RE NOT GOING ANYWHERE” as well as “I’m a proud, Greek, Tulane alum, but I’m not proud of this.”

The Kappa Alpha chapter at Tulane University said: “Our chapter takes KA’s values of gentlemanly conduct very seriously. This respect extends to every student of Tulane and every member of the broader community.

“A comment was written on a makeshift wall on our private property, normally used for a game of capture the flag, to mock the ideologies of a political candidate. This had a unintended negative effect and as such it has been dismantled.”