Studying Architecture is the best and worst time of your life

How many hours did you sleep last night?

When you made the decision to go into architecture you probably thought it would be a great idea, right? “I can draw” you thought, “This is going to be fun.” Whether it was because you grew up with parents who taught you everything you need to know about the field or you like a challenge, you genuinely thought studying architecture was going to be just fine.

Sure you were warned about how hard the course is and how little sleep you’d get. But that didn’t change your mind, you were determined.

Whether you’re in your first year just learning how to use CAD or in year seven of the never ending course, you’ll shed a tear about how close this hits to home.

You have a love/hate relationship with the studio

Studio isn’t like your second home – it’s your first and only home. You’ve done everything but shower in there (just because you don’t have time to, not because of the lack of facilities). If you’re lucky your studio is open 24 hours and you actually never have to go back home.

Friends and family are slightly worried you might have died

Every time you decide to surface from your dark hole for air you send a short signal that you are in fact alive but barely breathing.

Your pre-drinks just look like a study session with added alcohol

Because that’s basically what they are. Take a sip every time you think about how much work you have to do. Take a shot every time someone asks you how your project is going.

You get very creative with cardboard lying around the house

Although when you’re done you kind of wish you saved that cardboard for your next model.

The beanbags around studio were put there for sleeping not lounging

Whether the nap is planned or you just randomly crashed at hour 60 of being awake.

You get to travel to amazing places just to look at buildings

When the whole squad goes on a mad one to Paris look at Le Corbusier’s architecture.

You get told you need to get crazier with your design and start to imagine what you can get away with

Anything can be a building in architecture school. It doesn’t matter if you don’t know how it’s going to stand up – that’s what the engineers are for.

All the rooms in your house turn into mini studios

And the housemates who are doing another degree are your bitches.

This means something to you

To you and only you. The hatching means something OK leave me alone.

You get to witness a multitude of breakdowns

You’ll laugh at them for being so weak until you realize you’re fucked 12 hours before your deadline.

You think everyone waiting in line for the laser cutters is your friend when they probably would murder you with a scalpel

Waiting in line for three hours to book a laser cutting appointment two weeks in advance is just another Tuesday. The work doesn’t stop just because you’re not in studio though. You just pray your laptop battery will last.

Saving a massive file gives you some time to really contemplate life

Until your computer can’t handle this much pressure and starts to stall and you start wondering why you’re doing this to yourself.

One screen isn’t enough

And usually two aren’t enough either.

You’ve tried everything imaginable to keep yourself awake

Caffeine, drugs, sugar, slapping yourself.

You try to stay up to date with what’s going on in the world in your own way

You haven’t slept in 60 hours, you’re way past resting bitch face.

Printers will give you more rage than any human possibly could

OF COURSE IT DECIDED TO STOP FUCKING WORKING WHEN WE ALL FUCKING NEED TO USE IT.

You come across a lot of weird-ass shit when Googling things to put in your section

But you’ll actually try and think of a way to add it to your design.

Of course I need dinosaurs fucking in the kindergarten I’m designing

You know exactly what this smells like

Exhaustion with a slight smokey essence.

When you’re finally done with your project you cry because you don’t know what to do with yourself now

It’s like thinking about what everyone did before smartphones. Do you just read? Do you talk to other humans? Do you sleep? Do you have fun?

Recovering doesn’t just involve sleeping

Doctors will be amazed at how you’ve managed to stay mildly functioning living just off caffeine and sugar. If you’re lucky you’ll be sent for emergency surgery because things just stopped working. The drugs are great.

All the architects in your year will become your closest friends

You’ve seen each other cry, smelled each other after 72 hours of not showering, talked about each others’ project behind their back, you’re practically family. You spend literally every waking hour (and the hours you should be sleeping) together and you form a special bond. I don’t see Geography students hanging out together, do you?

And you’re actually fucking cool

Yeah you are.