A current York student’s guide to A-Level Results Day 2022

York currently has 49 courses available through Clearing

With A-Level results day looming tomorrow, I vividly remember how my hands shook as I held the envelope that contained my results that would determine if I got into uni or not this time three years ago. I remember how my stomach dropped when I opened it and realised I hadn’t met the entry requirements for either my preferred or insurance uni choices.

But most of all, I can remember, despite my grades, how excited I felt when I walked into my university accommodation for the first time, knowing this was going to be my future for the next few years.

This is a really uncertain and nerve-wracking period of time, and I understand the stress more than you could imagine. Regardless of what you see on that piece of paper, there are so many things you can do to make sure you make the best possible decision for yourself.

So here’s my Results Day advice for students considering York:

Contact the university if you narrowly miss your grade requirements

This is what I did. My low marks weren’t a reflection of my ability and the uni knew this. But they saw my potential and still let me in! It’s always worth a shot to see if they’ll still accept you for the course you’ve applied for and you’ll never know unless you try.

Move in day excitement

Check Clearing

This is the main thing you can do to secure a place if you’ve missed the required grades for your firm and insurance or want to explore something else.

York has 95 courses available through Clearing that can be found on the UCAS website here.

The uni has a clearing hotline where you can ask questions and apply for places. It will open on Thursday 18th August from 8am to 6pm BST and Friday 19th August 8am to 5pm. The number is +44 (0)1904 234868.

Have a plan B in place

It might seem a bit obvious, but you should always have some contingencies in place, and it’s never too late to start planning these. Have a think about what other options interest you and have the courage to keep an open mind.

Don’t feel ashamed about having to resit or taking a gap year

Sometimes it might get to the point where you need to resit some of your exams before you move on to university. There’s no shame in doing so and remember that your road to success will not look like anyone else’s.

It also might be a good idea to take a year out and get some life experience before going to uni on a course you are not 100 per cent happy with. There is always next year.

A first year throwback

Have confidence in your ability to succeed

No matter what happens on Result’s Day, you’ve made it this far and that’s so cool. Give yourself a pat on the back because exams are bloody hard. No matter what is coming up for you next, have confidence in your ability to get through it and come out the other end of success. You need to be your own number one fan!

And for those coming to York, we can’t wait to welcome you in September! Make sure to follow our Instagram and TikTok to keep up with EVERYTHING York student related.