‘The mood of anger on campus is palpable’: A Student Walkout will be held in York today

The rally will be held at Exhibition Square at 12pm

A Student Walkout will be held at Exhibition Square in York City Centre at 12pm today.

York students will not be attending scheduled contact hours as part of a national rally organised by The National Union of Students (NUS).

The rally is supported by The University of York Marxist Society who told The York Tab: “It is imperative for the success of this walkout that as many students as possible are mobilised.”

As part of the national walkout, the NUS has four demands that include full funding for higher education, accessibility and creating more inclusive spaces in education, democratic power to students, and a lifelong education system that supports students from cradle to grave.

The University of York Marxist Society told The York Tab: “Students have faced a year of lockdowns, mental health crises, reckless decisions by university management and eye-watering fees and rent. On top of this, we have a government that couldn’t care less about this situation and who only make matters even worse. But it is not just students who are angry. Staff have been on the forefront of the battle against university management, with UCU members taking strike action three times in the last four years over pensions, pay, and conditions. The mood of anger on campus is palpable.

They continued: “This mood is reflected in the demands of the NUS which are the most radical for years. The Marxist Society echo the demands of the NUS, we should fight for lifelong free education at the point of use with proper pay, conditions and pensions for staff. We must make our university accessible for all, we must fight ableism in our education and we must democratise the university, students and staff deserve a say over our own learning! It is imperative for the success of this walkout that as many students as possible are mobilised. Our enemies are marketisation and management; bossess and billionaires, not striking lecturers!

The University of York has been contacted for comment.