‘Donate whatever you are able to’: A Ukraine donation drive has been set up at York

Donations can be left at the YUSU reception from 10am to 4pm every day until Friday

A drive for Ukraine has been set up for York students and staff to donate items to Ukraine.

Donations of clothes, shoes, and toiletries can be left in the Student Union Reception at The University of York from 10am to 4pm every day until Friday. These will then be taken to the Ukrainian Embassy in London.

The organisers of the drive said: “Every little bit helps from every toothbrush to every pound. This is all vitally needed and I urge us all as the University of York community to donate what we can and show solidarity with the people of Ukraine.”

In an email to students, Saul Tendler York’s Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Provost, offered support to all affected by the situation in Ukraine. He said: “We are deeply saddened by the news coming from Ukraine today and our thoughts are with anyone with links to the region who is impacted by these terrible events. We are not aware of any current staff or students in either Ukraine or Russia, and this morning, we have reached out to all of our Ukrainian and Russian students to offer individual support. We know our community may have concerns about friends and loved ones who may be affected as well.”

He continued: “If anyone is seeking further help, students can contact our International Student Support Team or our Student Unions (YUSU and GSA). Staff can contact our Health Assured Employee Assistance scheme, which provides support across a number of areas.”

The organisers of the donation drive said: “The Ukrainian embassy in London have a list of equipment they desperately need from toothbrushes to medical equipment. I believe it is our moral duty and imperative as citizens in a democratic society to unite and help out these brave Ukrainians in their time of need. This is why I am organising a drive to get as many things on their list as possible over the coming week and will drive down to the Ukrainian embassy with the supplies and funds that we as a community have raised for these brave individuals fighting for their values and freedoms against clear aggressors.”

They continued: “Every little bit helps from every toothbrush to every pound. This is all vitally needed and I urge us all as the university of York community to donate what we can and show solidarity with the people of Ukraine.Right now we privileged few have a moral duty to help out Ukraine in any way we can and I urge you to donate whatever you are able to. You may think it won’t make a difference but let me tell you something small things add up. And with the number of people at this institution if we all donate something small it will absolutely make a massive difference.”

To find additional information about the conflict and ways to help, click here.