A rally will be held in York on Saturday to show ‘Solidarity with Ukraine’

The rally will be held at 2:30pm on Saturday 5th March in St Helens Square

A rally in solidarity with Ukraine will be held in St Helens Square, York at 2:30pm on Saturday.

York’s Central MP Rachael Maskell and MP for Outer York, Julian Sturdy will be speaking at the event.

MP Julian Sturdy said: “Saturday will be a chance for York to come together to show that our city will stand shoulder to shoulder and not relent in our unwavering support for Ukraine.”

Both MPs said that their inboxes are full of emails from York residents who want to come together in solidarity to help the Ukrainian people and show support.

In an email to University of York students, Vice-Chancellor Charlie Jeffery also announced his support for the event and encouraged all students and staff to join him at the rally.

Both the Labour and Conservative MPs will be speakers at this rally alongside representatives from York City of Sanctuary, Human Rights, and other key speakers.

Protests have been held up and down the country

York Central’s Labour MP Rachael Maskell said: “It is so important that we come together now as a city. In watching the atrocities unfold, we can feel so helpless, but when we come together, stand together and send our solidarity to the people of Ukraine together, we too play our part in calling for this war to end and justice for the Ukrainian people. As a Human Rights City and a City of Sanctuary, let us show how York stands with Ukraine.”

York Outer Conservative MP Julian Sturdy added: “The world has been united in condemnation at Russia’s unprovoked aggression, in awe at the incredible acts of bravery by Ukrainians defending their homeland, and in sympathy with those fleeing their homes.”Saturday will be a chance for York to come together to show that our city will stand shoulder to shoulder and not relent in our unwavering support for Ukraine.”

#WeStandWithUkraine

To find additional information about the conflict and ways to help, click here.