A body has been found in the search for missing York student Harvey Parker

The Met Marine Support Unit recovered the body from the Thames near where Harvey was last seen

A body has been found in the search for missing York student Harvey Parker, Metropolitan Police have confirmed.

While formal identification is still underway, the family and friends of the second-year student have been informed.

A statement from Harvey’s friends and family read: “We are so very sad to report that police have recovered a body from the Thames near where our beautiful Harvey was last seen. Formal identification is underway.”

Police were alerted by the RNLI at 11:51 am on Tuesday 4th January to a body in the Thames near Embankment, Westminster. The death is being treated as unexplained.

Harvey Parker, a music student at The University of York, went missing after leaving Heaven Nightclub by Charing Cross Railway Station in Westminster at 2:15 am on Friday 17th December.

Detective Chief Inspector Lucy O’Connor said: “Sadly a body has been recovered from the Thames near where Harvey was last seen. We are providing Harvey’s family with all the available information. We are also asking for media to please respect the family’s privacy at this challenging and difficult time.”

A report will be compiled for the coroner.

A statement from Harvey’s friends and family reads: “Our deepest thanks to all of you who searched with us, posted, shared, and supported us and the Met police in finding Harvey. Your love and support ensured so many people knew something of the blazing, glorious person that we were so lucky to have in our lives.”

A Just Giving page has been set up by Harvey’s friends “to support the work of communities he was a part of: money raised will go to young queer support groups, neurodiverse and gender diverse young people who’d benefit from emotional or mental health support and to help support talented musicians from under-represented communities.”

“We want to ensure that others like Harvey are able to shine as brightly.”

Nobody should suffer alone. Support is available to all students affected by this news and we encourage those affected by Harvey’s death to contact University wellbeing services for help.

A list of wellbeing services available to York students can be found here as well as the Samaritans’ helpline.