York is officially in the new Tier 2 and here’s how it affects students

Pubs close at 11pm

York has been placed in Tier 2 of coronavirus restrictions once lockdown ends on 2nd December, the government have confirmed.

The announcement will be welcomed by the University of York’s various sporting teams, with outdoor exercise classes and team sports allowed under the new system. Indoor sport can also take place, but only with people of the same household.

York’s return to Tier 2 means that pubs and bars are able to re-open, as long as they operate as restaurants and serve substantial meals. However, they must close by 11pm, with last orders to be taken at 10pm.

york tier 2

Unfortunately for students, household mixing will be banned indoors. The rule of six will be in force outdoors so that people can meet in a limited number of public spaces, such as parks and sports courts.

Students are advised by the government to travel home for Christmas in the allocated travel window from 3rd-9th December. The government also advises against travel to or overnight stays in Tier 3 areas other than where necessary, such as for work, education, youth services, to receive medical treatment, or because of caring responsibilities.

In a blow to freshers itching to experience a nightclub for the first time as students, indoor entertainment venues will remain closed under the new restrictions.

Fortunately for the University of York, cases among students have fallen rapidly thanks to the month-long lockdown. Per the University website, only seven new cases of coronavirus had been confirmed, with 47 individuals currently self-isolating as of Thursday, 26th November.

The drop in cases comes after York’s Vice-Chancellor, Professor Charlie Jeffery confirmed that the university intend to go ahead with the Spring term ‘as planned’ on 11th January, 2021, in an email sent out to staff and students last week.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

York’s Vice-Chancellor confirms Spring Term will start ‘as planned’ at York

University of York offering free Covid-19 rapid result tests to students

All of the reasons why I chose to spend lockdown 2.0 in York