York is now the 16th best university in the UK

Remaining as a UK top 20 uni

The University of York has been ranked the 16th best UK uni in the latest UK Universities League Table run by The Guardian. The league table ranks 121 UK Universities, with York and Exeter sharing the 16th spot.

The new position in the table is a jump from the former 20th position, with York also ranking as the highest university in the table from within the Yorkshire and the Humber area.

81.7% of students were both satisfied with their course and the teaching at the uni, giving it an overall Guardian score of 69.9 out of 100. 84% of students at York also go onto a graduate-level job or continue into further study in the 15 months after they graduate.

Certain York degree courses also ranked highly in the new league tables for UK subject specific rankings. York’s History of Art was ranked 4th best in the UK, across the six courses offered in the department teaching received an impressive 96.3% satisfaction score.

Science related courses offered at York also placed pretty high in quality compared to other UK universities. The 15 Bioscience courses offered at York were ranked at 6th best in the country, the same rank earned by the Chemistry courses taught at the university. Both the Physics and Psychology courses offered at York boast a 9th place rank in their respective subject league tables.

Subject ranks are based on subject specific teaching satisfaction, course satisfaction, feedback satisfaction, student to staff ratios, spend per student, average entry tariff and career after 15 months.

The University of York was also ranked 133rd in The Times Higher Education World University Rankings last week, making it one of the youngest top 150 universities in the world. York received special mentions for campus wildlife, women in science and research excellence.