University of York allowing students to cancel accommodation contracts

In light of the Covid-19 situation

The University of York will allow students who are living on campus to cancel their contracts for their accommodation as a result of the ongoing Covid-19 situation,

The accommodation remains open for students who wish to stay, but they are allowed to terminate their contracts if they wish to vacate early.

An email from the Vice-Chancellor that was sent to students read: “Our campus accommodation remains open for our students. The college teams will continue to support our residents during these exceptional times. As I wrote to you last week this is a rapidly changing situation – we have already encouraged those of you who can return to their hones to do so. Many of you have chosen to do this already and after last night’s advice from the Government, more of you may wish to consider this option. In light of that we have listened carefully to your concerns about rental agreements and I can now confirm that if you notify the University you wish to cancel your accommodation contract, there will be no charge made from the start of the summer term – Tuesday 14th April.

“We will be contacting those with rental agreements with the University with more detailed guidance, including how to notify accommodation teams, financial processes and check out arrangements. This offer of early contract cancellation also applies to students in Student Castle who booked directly through Accommodation Services.

“The Student Hub and College teams are also available to provide emotional and well being support and advice for those students remaining on campus or who have accommodation contracts with private providers.”

In addition, the University of York has also launched the Emergency Student Support Fund. Applications for this open to students on Wednesday 25th March 2020 at 5PM and will close on Wednesday 1st April 2020 at 5PM.

The fund will provide support of up to £500 per applicant for students facing unanticipated financial challenges.