University of York launches campaign to help students spot the signs of a toxic relationships

The campaign is designed to help students trapped in controlling and abusive relationships to spot the red flags

University of York’s Women and Non-Binary Network have launched a campaign designed to help students trapped in controlling, toxic and abusive relationships recognise the behaviours that they may not be able to see themselves.

Red Flag launched last week on Instagram and will be using the social media platform and YUSU website to post descriptions of red flags in relationships and the support for those who are in a toxic relationship.

The relationships are not just applicable to romantic they can be friendships, family relationships or anyone in your life who brings toxic energy.

A variety of university sports teams have been photographed with a red flag on campus to help raise awareness of the campaign. There will also be red flags and physical signs on campus for people to see promoting the campaign.

Campaign officer for Women’s and Non-Binary Network York Grace Clark, who has helped build the Red Flag campaign, told The York Tab she thinks its “important to build a campaign that helps people with realising and accepting that they are in a controlling or abusive relationship, especially in a university environment when they are experiencing so much for the first time.”

She added that she hopes the “campaign can provide support for those who have removed themselves from relationships and are rebuilding themselves.”

The webpage will be released later this week on YUSU’s website and includes in-depth descriptors of red flags, white flags which are signs of a meaningful relationship, support what to do if you think you or someone you know is in a toxic relationship and a range of on campus and off campus support available for students.

If you, or someone you know, need support at York there is a Sexual Violence Liaison Officer who provides specialist confidential one-to-one support for individuals who have experienced sexual violence.

Campaign photographer: Olivia Burness