Image may contain: Sunglasses, Accessories, Accessory, Pants, Hat, Apparel, Clothing, Person, Human

Suspected coronavirus case in Hull Road tests negative

Reports of them being visited by paramedics in hazmat suits circulated earlier this week

An individual who was taken from their house in Hull Road by paramedics in hazmat suits has tested negative for coronavirus.

This comes after two people tested positive for the virus in York last week. A third case of the virus in the UK has been confirmed in the UK, though this was in Brighton and the patient has been transferred to a specialist centre in London.

The Director for Public Health at City of York Council, Sharon Stoltz, said: "Following today's announcement from the Chief Medical Officer I can confirm that there are three positive cases of coronavirus in the UK, including the two cases already reported who were taken ill in York.

"The test on the person from the Hull Road area in York recently reported in the media has been confirmed as negative for the virus.

She also stressed that early symptoms of the virus are "similar to those for winter flu or the common cold" and confirmed that "the risk to residents and visitors in York remains low."

The suspected case in Hull Road was first reported after a video was sent to the York Press. A later report in the Daily Mail suggested that it was a student house with "four or five people living in it."

The University of York's Vice-Chancellor Charlie Jeffreys has previously appealed for media to respect the privacy and patient confidentiality of those affected by the virus.

A joint statement was also issued alongside the presidents of both YUSU and the Graduate Students' Association, reminding members of the university community to remain respectful of each other in light of racist incidents being reported to the uni.

Advice for students concerned about the coronavirus can be found on the University of York's website. The frequently asked questions section was updated on Wednesday evening to provide students with more information.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

‘Wash your hands and don’t be racist’: York students react to coronavirus scare

York student diagnosed with coronavirus was a Vita Student tenant

York company waiting to decontaminate hotel room where coronavirus patients stayed

Featured Image: Stock Image from SWNS