Image may contain: Machine, Wheel, Road, Asphalt, Tarmac, Transportation, Car, Automobile, Vehicle

Unity Health make ‘significant improvements’

The latest inspection found major improvements to the service

Unity Health, which was put in special measures earlier this year, has made "significant improvements" according to the latest report by the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

This follows the re-inspection which took place in September that lifted the practice's ban on registering new patients.

During the CQC inspection, the inspectors found that staff treated patients with compassion, kindness and respect and that the practice had systems in place to manage risks so that safety incidents were less likely to happen.

The CQC report also notes that patients are now finding it easier to get through to Unity Health on the phone, following past issues with the practice's phone lines.

According to the report, arrangements for monitoring and reviewing prescriptions helped to ensure that patients are kept safe and governance arrangements were being operated effectively to ensure the delivery of care.

Unity Health partner Dr Richard Wilcox said: “Our staff worked tirelessly over the summer to make improvements following a disappointing CQC report in May and we are delighted that those efforts have been recognised. We look forward to working with our new Patient Participation Group (PPG) to make further improvements going forward.”

In recent months Unity Health has carried out major refurbishments at Wenlock Terrace and is in the process of recruiting new GPs, nurse practitioners and receptionists. It has also introduced drop-in sessions for patients and students to meet members of the team, ask questions and make suggestions.

A full review by the CQC and a re-assessment of Unity Health's overall quality rating is due for the New Year.