Image may contain: Building, Housing, Brick

A definitive guide to student housing in York

Where to live, or rather, where not to

It’s that time of year again!! Oh, how time flies when you’re doing nothing but necking VKs on the dance floor of Salvos.

Deciding where to live and who with is a minefield – a decision not to be taken lightly or made too late.

The ultimate goal? A house with enough bedrooms of equal size, equidistant from town to uni and with people you actually like!

We've taken the time to talk you through each area and weigh up the pros and cons of each, helping you make the most informed decision you possibly can!

Hull Road

A student paradise – never far away are the culotte wearing puffa clad girls. Whilst the houses are smaller and more expensive than most, the location is the dream. It is as close to town as it is to uni, saving you those ££ on Uber trips. There are also many pubs for pints with the lads or an M&S for the more civilised amongst you.

Badger Hill

I had no idea where this was before writing this – every day’s a school day! It is in fact close to Hes East and on the bus route. The houses are lovely but rather residential – think gated community rather than student living. Inoffensive but will age you!

Image may contain: Villa, Grass, Plant, Neighborhood, Suburb, Urban, Cottage, House, Housing, Building

Hes Road

The only other location to rival Hull Road. It is also as close to town as uni with good access to shops. The defining feature? Efe's. If you are partial to cheesy chips, then you probably want to think about making this your home.

Image may contain: Interior Design, Human, Person, Living Room, Room, Indoors, Couch, Furniture

Tang Hall

"It’s not that far" is the biggest lie ever told!! Here you are cut off from civilisation and left solely with locals and Chinese takeout’s. Whilst you will never go hungry or without a laugh, it probably isn’t worth it. I speak from experience – last year I lived next door to a crack house. Big houses at budget prices!

Image may contain: Road Sign, Sign, Symbol

Fulford

Home to the last great Viking victory on English soil and Aldi – who knew! This, sadly, is about as exciting as it gets. People from Alcuin will probably choose to live here and actually enjoy it! Wholesome and homely, am I right?? Get a bike with a basket and you'll fit right in.

Image may contain: Porch, Brick, Door

Remember! Your choice does not define you but you will still be judged xoxo