Image may contain: Female, Jacket, Coat, Clothing, Apparel, Face, Night Club, Club, Crowd, Lighting, Night Life, Human, Person

The Northern Youth’s Sell-Out Event: “SECRET SETS”

Raising money for MIND

Following our preview of The Northern Youth's "SECRET SETS" last week, The Tab were invited underground to The Micklegate Social to witness the spectacle unfold.

The evening took place in the basement of the The Micklegate Social, a large room that The Northern Youth illuminated with fairy lights and candles; creating a mellow and intimate ambiance – the right sort of vibe to be enchanted by an array of slam poetry, stand up comedy and live music (all performed by current or recently graduated students).

Image may contain: Fire, Candle, Interior Design, Indoors, Vigil, Person, Human, Night Life

The tone of the evening was set by superb performances from poets: Ruth Awolola, Kelly AK, Emily Pritchard, Daniel Famiyeh and Bob Horton, before moving on to an entertaining set by stand-up comedians: Adam Al-Janabi, Danny Djalili and Qumarth Jash. The night was topped off by live music performances from Jack Murgatroyd and Chris Sharrock, Bruno Rogers, and Nathan Price.

Image may contain: Electric Guitar, Guitarist, Performer, Musician, Leisure Activities, Guitar, Musical Instrument, Person, Human

Throughout the evening, the audience were captivated by the charming performers on stage; holding their attention from beginning to end. Special credit must be given to those who were spectating for their respect and appreciation of the artists.

The mood of the night was measured and peaceful, and the ruby-red environment really added to this atmosphere. Praise must go to the organisers of the evening for piecing together this sell-out event, to all the performers for showing off their skill and craft, and to the audience for supporting them throughout.

Image may contain: Lighting, Laptop, LCD Screen, Microphone, Electrical Device, Computer, Pc, Display, Electronics, Screen, Monitor, Person, Human

The Northern Youth will be releasing their next event within the week. So keep your eyes peeled and follow them on Facebook and Instagram.

All photos taken by Nafsika Hadjichristou.