It’s official, York is the second best university in the north

We beat York St John, shock

Hide Images

The University of York has placed second in the Sunday Times' Good University Guide 2019 for northern universities.

Out of 132 UK universities, York achieved a highly respectable national ranking of 22nd.

Based on the 2018 Teaching Excellence Survey, York received a rating of 81.3 per cent, tied with Leeds, the uni who ranked best in the region. York is also tied with Leeds on the percentage of students who complete their degrees, at 92.5 per cent.

Graduate prospects are also impressive at York, with 82 per cent of students going on to professional jobs or graduate level study.

York also has a student satisfaction rate of 79.3 per cent according to the 2018 national student survey.

It can only bode well for students that the University of York continues to perform so highly in league tables, especially with the recent news that the university is up for uni of the year.

Meanwhile, rivals York St John are ranked 9th in the region but 102nd nationally. This comes with 81.1 per cent teaching excellence, 79.2 per cent student satisfaction, 73.6 per cent graduate prospects and an 84.6 per cent student retention rate.

We are recruiting new writers, social media editors, and video creators. Sign up to join The York Tab here.