Workers cause panic after mistakenly putting asbestos removal sign up in Halifax

Halifax (doesn’t) has asbestos, na na na

Everyone knows the "Derwent has absestos" chant, and accommodation blocks in the college were even cordoned off last year with asbestos warning tape.

But earlier this week, rumours emerged that asbestos may have been present in another college, with a no entry sign being placed in Halifax warning asbestos was being removed from an accommodation block.

A student sent the photo into Yorfess, showing a picture of a sign in Younger Court which read: "No entry – Asbestos removal and demolition in process." The post received hundreds of comments and reactions from panicked Halifax students.

#YorFess7053The plot thickens… #halifaxhasasbestos

Posted by Yorfess on Sunday, August 19, 2018

However, the university have now confirmed this sign was placed in error. A spokesperson told The Tab the sign was being used in error by an external contractor and has since been removed.

A University of York spokesperson said: "There is work being conducted on the bathrooms at Younger Court. There is no asbestos work associated with this project."

It seems the chants will still only be directed at Derwent for the foreseeable future.