York is officially the best place to live in the UK

Tell us something we don’t know

Hide Images

York is the best place to live in the UK, according to The Sunday Times' aptly named 'Best Place to Live 2018' rankings.

York is described as a "mini metropolis, with cool cafes, destination restaurants and innovative companies" and note that it has "the fastest internet in Britain."

The city also won praise for its ambition to be "one of the best-connected hubs in Europe." This is because of it's close proximity to Leeds and the fact that London and Manchester are less than two hours away by train while train travel to Edinburgh also takes just two and a half hours.

York is the UK's first "gigabit city," offering broadband speeds of 1 gigabit per second to businesses and homes alongside it's citywide Wi-Fi network, "CityConnect."

Both The University of York and York St. John are credited for helping the city's appeal, with the University of York's offers of free open lectures seen as a huge plus.

The cultural aspects in the city have also grown with the Art Gallery, Jorvik Viking Centre and the Theatre Royal for people to enjoy alongside a range of international food available across the city.

York is also regularly voted as one of the friendliest cities in the UK while North Yorkshire is consistently found to be England's safest area due to its low crime rate.

York will be hoping to retain its crown as best place to live in the UK for some time, especially if next time the judges take into consideration other cultural highlights such as trebles from Lowther and sandwiches from Brown's.