Image may contain: Person, People, Human

We asked York students if they think their degree is really worth £9,000

‘Why should I pay £9,000 a year to sit in my bedroom reading?’

It is a well-known fact that university fees are extremely expensive. For a three year course we are paying around £27,000 (excluding maintenance loans) but the real question is: Is it actually worth it?

I am a second year Sociology student and, whilst I enjoy my course, I don't see how nine contact hours a week is worth £9,000. In addition to this, my first year content was based on topics and theorists that I had already studied for my A Levels, which I learnt for free.

Theresa May has started to discuss this issue herself. Parliament is currently reviewing university fees with a debate surrounding whether there should be a variety in fee levels based on the student’s course, but this has been warned against due to equality issues.

I personally don’t think that my course is worth the hefty fee I pay, but what do other people think about their own courses?

Apostolos, second year, Business Management

Image may contain: Knitting, Beard, Sweater, Clothing, Person, People, Human

"I think my course is worth the money to some extent. The content and the course itself are advanced enough to help any business student orientate themselves into the business world which is useful.

"My department also invites well known guest lecturers and provides assessment centres in order for students to gain information about the industry. But, I have had many days where I only have independent study and so I wish that I had more contact hours.

"The strikes have also affected my course which means I am missing out on lectures and seminars I have already paid for."

Anna, first year, History

Image may contain: Hair, Person, People, Human

"We shouldn't be paying £27,000 for something that is considered a minimum requirement to secure a job. My course so far doesn't seem like it is worth £9,000 a year.

"Although, I am only in my first year so it could still improve but there would have to be a drastic improvement. My first term modules were not as engaging or intellectually stimulating as they should have been which is disappointing. My second year modules also seem quite limited as they are mostly based on the modern era, which is only a minute portion of history.

"I also feel like I don't get that much from my course as I only have eight contact hours a week, and last term I only had five contact hours. So, why should I pay £9,000 a year to sit in my bedroom reading?"

Alice, second year, Sociology

Image may contain: Knitting

"Personally, I feel that my course is worth it as I find it really interesting and I love the passion my professors have for the subject.

"I also know that my chosen field of career requires a degree but I know a vast amount of people are just getting a degree to enter basic jobs. It just seems like we're having to pay a lot just to get our lives started."

Gabriel, second year, Theatre, Film and Television

"I enjoy my course but I wouldn't say it was worth nine grand a year. It does provide you with some good information but I have learnt more from a first hand experience I had in the summer for a paid role.

"The course didn't prepare me for how to deal with the pressure and reality of the industry so I felt very untrained and unprepared.

"I feel like I have learnt more through my own projects, such as directing and work experiences, than participating in seminars and reading from the reading list. So, whilst my course is fun and creative it doesn't prepare you for the real world and so it isn't really worth the money."

Alex, second year, Criminology

Image may contain: Pier, Dock, Waterfront, Person, People, Human

"As a Criminology student, I do not believe that my course is worth the money. Although I believe the content is relevant and that the teaching aims to make our studies applicable to our everyday lives and the future, I disagree that £9,000 is acceptable.

"The fact that we still have to buy essential copies of course material ourselves is a joke. Where is the money going to if they can’t even afford to pay for the students essential supplies?

"Furthermore we are in for a very limited amount of hours per week, with some years only having 4-8 hours a week of teaching. If the money isn’t being spent on course essentials or teaching time then I fail to realise what the university is expecting us to pay for."