People were evacuated after someone tried to set fire to Wentworth College

It happened this afternoon

There has been a deliberate attempt of arson in Wentworth College this afternoon, as confirmed by uni officials.

At 1:40, students and lecturers were evacuated from the building and assembled outside Wentworth College reception to await further instruction.

The fire service quickly attended the scene, where five fire engines were called out to respond to the incident.

Chris Teeling, University of York Health and Fire Safety Officer, confirmed that this was a deliberate attempt to set fire to Wentworth Nucleus. He told York Vision: “Above one of the toilets upstairs above the ceiling tile, somebody has set fire to something, which would have burnt the building.”

The incident was reported at around 1:40pm, when the manual call point was set off by a witness whose identity is currently unknown. Teeling praised the passer by, saying “they’ve done the right thing,” and further called for them to “please come and speak to us”.

An investigation into the exact details of the arson is ongoing, and Teeling said “the fire brigade are investigating further” encouraging witnesses that “if you have any information please speak to the fire safety team.”