Breaking News

Warwick law student suffered three stab wounds during halls attack, court hears

Kazi was taken to hospital where his injuries were deemed non-life-threatening

Two people have been charged after student Ayaz Kazi was stabbed at Warwick’s Sherbourne accommodation on Wednesday 17th November.

Anam Ausaf, an 18-year-old Law student at Warwick from Wilkinson Close, London and Rohan Ahluwalia-Pandor, an 18-year-old from Barns Lane, Kings Langley, Herfordshire both appeared at Coventry Magistrates’ Court on Friday.

The pair, both wearing grey sweatshirts, appeared in the dock at the Coventry Magistrates’ Court, charged with maliciously and unlawfully wounding Kazi.

They had been charged section 18 wounding, otherwise known as causing grievous bodily harm with intent to do grievous bodily harm, or wounding with intent to do GBH. It carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.

Ahluwalia-Pandor was remanded into custody, and was told he must appear at Warwick Crown Court early next week. Ausaf was granted conditional bail. Both are set to appear at Warwick Crown Court on December 17th for a plea hearing.

The victim, Ayaz Kazi, is a 19-year-old first year Law student at Warwick. He was stabbed on campus at Sherbourne halls on Wednesday afternoon. He suffered three knife wounds, to his underarm, face and abdomen. Prosecutor Stella Muyambo said Mr Kazi had been taken to hospital following the attack, where his injuries were not deemed to be life-threatening.

Warwick released the following statement: “Yesterday there was an incident at Sherbourne accommodation on campus. Three people were involved, and it resulted in one of them being taken to hospital with what are thought to be non life-threatening injuries. The individual is in a stable condition. We provided wellbeing support and alternative accommodation to students living in that accommodation overnight. The incident was isolated, it has now concluded and the police are investigating.

“We can reassure you that there is no danger to students or staff. You may see continued police presence on campus over the next few days. This is in relation to a separate investigation into a local missing person who was seen most recently on campus. It is unrelated to the incident at Sherbourne yesterday. Both incidents are police investigations, which means that we are unable to give specific details. Suffice to say, our thoughts are with the individuals involved in both incidents, and their friends and family.

“We know that the situation is making many of us feel unsettled and worried. Support is available to all students and staff via Wellbeing Support Services, the Community Safety Team, the Residential Life Team for students living on campus, and the Employee Assistance Programme for staff.”

Updates as they come.

If you have any information relating to this story, please DM The Warwick Tab on Facebook or Instagram.