A Warwick student has been ‘quarantined’ over coronavirus

Four other cases have been confirmed in Warwickshire

Coronavirus Quarantine warwick uni

A postgraduate engineering student at Warwick University has been ‘quarantined’ whilst being tested for Coronavirus, following their return from Italy.

The patient count in Coventry has now risen to three confirmed cases of Coronavirus, from one on Saturday. Four cases have been confirmed in Warwickshire.

A spokesperson for the University told Coventry Observer: “The University has been informed that a student in our Claycroft Halls of Residencies has been in touch with NHS 111, following travel in Italy, and as a precaution they have been tested for the Covid-19 virus.”

Stock image via SWNS

The spokesperson continued: “Public Health England (PHE) will notify us of the result of the test later this week and in the meantime, they have advised the student to self-isolate.

“The University has therefore moved that student to separate accommodation that it had already prepared for such circumstance.

“The other students in that Claycroft flat have been informed and advised to keep following PHE advice on washing your hands and if they feel at all unwell then call NHS 111, follow their advice, and then inform the University on its helpline 024 765 23111 if the NHS advises any of them to take any further action.

“We will keep in close contact with all the students from that flat to ensure they get the support they need.

“The student is a postgraduate in WMG. The department has been informed and staff and students there should continue to follow the same PHE advice as the rest of the campus community.

“We will inform students and staff of the result of the test once known and any further subsequent Public Health England (PHE) advice and guidance, whilst also respecting statutory requirements about any individual’s personal data.

“We appreciate this is unsettling for staff, students and visitors. I want to reassure you that the University continues to operate as normal and is prepared for the number of cases in the UK increasing and this impacting our community.

“The safety and well-being of our community is our highest priority. We are proudly international and inclusive, and we are committed to providing an environment in which all our students, staff and visitors feel welcome, supported and safe. At this time of heightened concern, it remains important that we all continue to support one another and to protect and champion the Warwick community. We will of course make the University community aware of any confirmed cases of the Covid-19 virus among our student and staff community.”

Stock featured image via SWNS.